Identifying counterfeit PAP2

Answered Question
Jun 1st, 2012
User Badges:

Is Cisco interested in following up with fake Linksys PAP2-NA being sold on ebay? If so, what is the procedure?

The MAC address printed on the bottom of my device is 001217F92844 which apparently is a German company, "Protechna". I think this is strong evidence of a fake.

Correct Answer by cindy toy about 5 years 2 months ago

Hi Bill,

Our Small Business engineer did some research and found that the MAC address is assigned to Cisco/Linksys and the serial number shows us that the warranty on that unit expired in 2006. 

Our recommendation in the future is that if you want to purchase a genuine Cisco product is to buy it from a certified Cisco Partner.

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
cindy toy Fri, 06/01/2012 - 23:29
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the information.  I will contact the correct group within Cisco who can help you.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

permutation1 Wed, 06/06/2012 - 07:03
User Badges:

Hi Cindy,

Since no one has got back to me yet, and I only have limited amount of time to return an ebay item. Is there a way that I can check the serial number and MAC address my self to validate it is an original product and and not a fake?

cindy toy Thu, 06/07/2012 - 01:58
User Badges:

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay I was hoping our fraud team would contact you.  I just sent an inquiry to our product team for help.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Correct Answer
cindy toy Thu, 06/07/2012 - 15:13
User Badges:

Hi Bill,

Our Small Business engineer did some research and found that the MAC address is assigned to Cisco/Linksys and the serial number shows us that the warranty on that unit expired in 2006. 

Our recommendation in the future is that if you want to purchase a genuine Cisco product is to buy it from a certified Cisco Partner.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content