Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between a catalyst and san switch

Hi Guys,

I had a very simple query. I had a very basic query. I wanted to know the difference between a switch which we connect to our campus netorks and switches connected to storage area networks. I dont mean the cost and stuff, but more into how they forward packets and the technologies. If I have a catalyst switch with 10Gb ports and a SAN switch with 10Gb ports , what would be the performance difference. what would be the difference in their forwarding mechanisms. i didnt know whether it would be correct to post this in storage or lan switching as it pertains to both hence have posted them in both forums.

Admin if you feel this is the wrong section to post it, please do delete it.

5 Replies 5

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Campus Network Switches -> Switches that allow maximum throughput, wire speed, and possibly PoE, that end users will connect too.

San Switch -> Wire Speed, Wire Speed (Must Have), 1 gig port minimum, 10 Gig ports would be preferred, Jumbo Frame support a must have.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

If you are asking about an iscsi San switch, there is no difference, other than the configuration as John points out, particularly regarding frame size.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

thanks so much for the reply guys. But am still confused. If a LAN switch would take forwarding decisions on the basis of mac addresses, that on what criteria does a SAN switch do? Is the SAN switch all about wire speed or are there other advantages too?

Probably, the "SAN switch" forwards FC packets. You shouldn't compare it to ethernet, it's just a completely different forwarding paradigm, with different physical connections. And yes, it may also have ethernet ports.

If you're still interested - google "fibre channel".

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Traditionally, SANs have been supported by Fiber Channel, which offer features not available in "normal" Ethernet switches.  The big difference in features is Fiber Channel works to make data transfer between devices predictable where Ethernet is "best effort".

Today there are enhanced Ethernet or Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) switches that provide Fiber Channel like features using Ethernet media.  These enhanced Ethernet switches support standard Ethernet but to take advantage of the enhanced features, the connecting devices must also have enhanced Ethernet support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco