Views
Helpful
Replies

881 3G Connection

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I've got my 881 3g connection working. It's not the fastest connection but, I think it will work fo people who have no DSL or no cable service or as a backup. Pings from the remote office to the remote user PC average around 180 ms. Does that seem right? I was able to make phone calls and video calls to the Main Branch with a little latency with the video. Also had a WebEx going at the sametime.

I', using a Cisco antenna but, Is there anything else I can do to optimize the connection?

Thanks, Pat.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Patrick,

in my personal case I have seen an increase from 45 ms (DSL+wirelessLAN)  to 101 ms  (3G)in latency pinging a public ip address when I have tested it.

So in your case actually it looks like a little high I agree on this.

I have given my first answer without looking at the test results.

Note:  I'm located in Europe so in my case 3G type is UMTS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Patrick,

it looks like correct, the latency is high for the characteristics of the radio access network.

As you have noted you are able to use most applications including VoIP and videoconference.

I may be wrong but I don't think that a better antenna can make the difference for latency.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

So, you think the latency is a little high even for a a 3G connection or do you think it is about right considering the technology?

Thanks, Pat.

Hello Patrick,

in my personal case I have seen an increase from 45 ms (DSL+wirelessLAN)  to 101 ms  (3G)in latency pinging a public ip address when I have tested it.

So in your case actually it looks like a little high I agree on this.

I have given my first answer without looking at the test results.

Note:  I'm located in Europe so in my case 3G type is UMTS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Acutally, when I ping the Public address assigned to the Cell0 interface, my pings are in the order of 130. I was pinging a device on the remote router's LAN when I was getting the 180s.

Thanks for your help, Pat.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card