cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should we simply not consider WCS?

kmv2kvvrh
Level 1
Level 1

We are starting an Wireless infrastructure project and up until yesterday, WCS plus was the way we were going. Now I have been reading about NCS and Prime. What are the facts concerning WCS and which product is going to be the flagship into the next 3-5 years?                   

4 Replies 4

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NCS support WLCs that run code from 4.2 to 7.2 and WCS support ends at WLC running 7.0.

Almost, all non EOL WLCs supported on code 7.0 i.e, legacy & new WLC platform that can be managed using WCS or NCS. If you prefer to update the WLC platform that supports 7.2 i.e, 2500, 7500, 5500 & Wism2 then those WLCs can't be managed by WCS. And future WLC that will be released also can only be managed with NCS.

Software Release Compatibility Matrix:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp41742

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Wireless Control System Legacy Licenses

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5755/ps6301/ps6305/end_of_life_c51-556750.html

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

If you have WLCs like the 2100 or 4400 they go up to code 7.0 so you will need a WCS to manage them, but if you have WLCs that support code 7.2 or higher like the 5500 or 2500 then you will need a NCS to manage them.

David Santos
Level 1
Level 1

Simple!

NCS is the way because you are expecting to use the new code versions.

And be aware that the last app support will be in February 28, 2013

PS: I migrated from WCS to NCS and got NO problem till this day.

jino_jacob
Level 1
Level 1

Almost, all non EOL WLCs supported on code 7.0 i.e, legacy & new WLC platform that can be managed using WCS or NCS.

Does it mean NCS does not support the 2100 or 4400 WLCs?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card