cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtualized WLC

Steve Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any information on the Wireless LAN controller been virtualized?  or the wireless on a box concept?

23 Replies 23

angvarga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Steve,

You cannot virtualize a WLC since it is not an application that can be installed in a Server. The Wireless Lan Controller is a physical unit.

Regards,

Angel V.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does anyone have any information on the Wireless LAN controller been virtualized?

I believe you were given the wrong information.

As what Angel has stated, WLC is a hardware-based systems and you cannot virtualize this, HOWEVER, the WCS and the newer Prime NCS can be virtualized.

And no, the WCS and/or NCS can control and configure WAPs as long as there is a WLC present.

I know that the current controllers are physical and cannot be virtualized.  I was in a webinar recently and they had mentioned that a virtual controller was on the roadmap for the cisco unified wireless architecture.  That is what im referring to.

The wireless in a box concept is really to have the NCS, ISE and controller software running in a virtual environment.

I was in a webinar recently and they had mentioned that a virtual controller was on the roadmap for the cisco unified wireless architecture. 

Never heard of this before.  I should be asking around.

I was in a webinar recently and they had mentioned that a virtual controller was on the roadmap for the cisco unified wireless architecture.  That is what im referring to.

Just had a chat with someone about this.  WLC 8500 is the name.  End of this year or early next year.

Thanks for the tip! 

I am also woundering about this, I am looking at buying a 2500 WLC for studying with, but if there is a vertual box that may be chaper that would be great.

There is no virtual WLC at the moment, you would need the 2504 right now.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rumor has it, its coming .. It was mentioned at Cisco Live.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Rumor has it, its coming

It's on it's way.  The WLC 8500 is aimed at "service providers".

Word has it that the WiSM-2 will get more WAPs count support but it is yet unclear whether or not this new WAP count is compatible with the Sup720 or Sup2T.

I thought the 8500 was an actual box and the VM WLC was somthing difffrent.

if thats the case i think i will just buy a 2504 WLC and 2 3500's for my lab.

It is an appliance. The vWLC probably will not come out for a while, so if you are looking for something soon, then the 2504 is what you should get. I run that with a mix of AP's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I thought the 8500 was an actual box and the VM WLC was somthing difffrent.

if thats the case i think i will just buy a 2504 WLC and 2 3500's for my lab.

I was made aware that it is a server and WLC is "virtualized".

However, having this for your home lab is an over-kill since the minimum number of WAPs supported will not be suitable for your use at home.

hello guys,

I am studying toward my CCNA Wireless and i would like to know how can i virtualize WLC in GNS3 or anythink you can think of please help.

I want to do some practises .

thank you

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

WLC 7.3 was just release, which supports vWLC and  the WLC 8500.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card