Helpful
Replies

Deploying Multiple WLCs

jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Can someone give me some advice? Its a bit long but challenging ..••J

I am interested in implementing a Multiple WLC environment. I have Three 5508 controllers and 3 buildings (each building approx. 40 APs). I am considering 2 different approaches:

Approach#1: Connecting all 3 WLCs in the same management VLAN with 3 sequential\following addresses (each dynamic interface will have sequential addresses as well). WLC and APs are all Layer 2.

Approach#2 connecting each WLC in a different management VLAN with different IP Networks. (Each dynamic interface among WLCs will have different Vlans and IP Networks as well). Each WLC has its group of APs and each WLC in in separate Subnets.

My requirements are to have a fully redundant system and to have the ability to roam from one building to another without problems. Can all 3 WLC be in

One Mobility\RF Domain In both approaches? Can I have the Same SSID configured among all 3 WLCs? Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Please see attached tables that describe both approaches.

Is there any Best Practice PDFs? The Regular One doesn’t have all the answers.

Thanks a lot!!!

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your first option is probably the best, or hybridize the two.

They can all be in the same sub et or different, but for failover you want them all in the same mobility group.

All three should have the same SSID and you can do AP groups to keep them logically separated if you want client sub era per building. But for redundancy the WLC needs L2 reach ability to all the sinners in case of failover.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

com.sun.mail.util.QPDecoderStream@57a0533f

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

don't think keeping wlc peer in L3 would break redundancy as long as APs know how to reach them.

Whichever the approach is fine but when the WLC fails the redundant WLC should be able to serve the clients on that building.

to have the ability to roam from one building to another without problems. Can all 3 WLC be in One Mobility\RF Domain In both approaches? Can I have the Same SSID configured among all 3 WLCs?

Yes.

Hi,

Thank alot...

That answer assisted me greatly...

Cheets

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: