Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS software upggrade

Mohit Chauhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am new to the WAAS world and getting little confused with its terminlogy.

When we look into different models (some are appliance based, some are modules).

I was going thru the below link about WAAS appliances:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6474/data_sheet_c78-495801.html

and did not see any mention about the appliance WAVE-694, instead the closest it was showing was WAE-674. (Whats the difference between WAE and WAVE appliances and why WAVE 694 wasnt showing up in the list?)

Second thing, I also have WAVE-274 which I wanted to upgrade. While i was reading thru the config giude, it said there are two types of files, universal and accelarator only (both bin files). and i could understand the difference between the two.

However, when i was looking at this WAVE-274 console and did show version, the output was as follows (it wasnt showing the file type anywhere, like it usually does on IOS devices for eg "/flash/filename.bin":

COHO-WM-01#show ver

Cisco Wide Area Application Services Software (WAAS)

Copyright (c) 1999-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco Wide Area Application Services (universal-k9) Software Release 4.4.5 (buil

d b5 Feb  4 2012)

Version: oe274-4.4.5.5

Also when do back up of the config, using "cms database backup" likewise whats the way to back up the image onto the ftp server??

Nest thing, when i went to download software page on cisco website, under the latest 4.4.5c, I could see so  many different files, like

32 bit system image, 64 bit system image,SM/SRE install zip file and many more along with the normal universal and accelerator binary images. So my question was when will i need to use the 32 or 64 but system file, also how would i know that for eg, WAVE 274 is 32 or 64 bit?

And in case i am using WAVE SM on a ISR router like 2900 ISR, will i need to use the SM/SRE install zip file to upgrade instead of normal upgrade for appliances?

Sorry for too many questions in a go, but i believe it shouldn't be time consuming to explain for someone who have worked on them before.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mohit

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mohit,

Having a SM doesn't have any impact on the way the router is upgraded. Just follow the normal procedure.

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mohit,

See my answers inline:

When we look into different models (some are appliance based, some are modules).

I was going thru the below link about WAAS appliances:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6474/data_sheet_c78-495801.html

and  did not see any mention about the appliance WAVE-694, instead the  closest it was showing was WAE-674. (Whats the difference between WAE  and WAVE appliances and why WAVE 694 wasnt showing up in the list?)

New WAE appliances (including the wave-694) have been released recently, so they don't show up in the link you mentioned. Instead, you should be looking at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6474/data_sheet_c78-685554.html

When talking about WAAS appliances, WAE and WAVE are equivalent. Some time ago, when the WAAS virtual blade feature was added, the decision was done to name new appliances as WAVE (Wide area virtualization engine) instead of WAE (Wide area engine)

Second thing, I also have WAVE-274 which I wanted to upgrade. While i  was reading thru the config giude, it said there are two types of files,  universal and accelarator only (both bin files). and i could understand  the difference between the two.

The "Accelerator" image allows only the upgrade of a WAE in "Application accelerator" device mode. The universal one, however, allows to upgrade both the accelerator devices, as well as the central manager.

Also when do back up of the config, using "cms database backup" likewise  whats the way to back up the image onto the ftp server??

You first do the backup and then copy it to an FTP server with the "WAE# copy disk ftp" command

Nest thing, when i went to download software page on cisco website,  under the latest 4.4.5c, I could see so  many different files, like 

32  bit system image, 64 bit system image,SM/SRE install zip file and many  more along with the normal universal and accelerator binary images. So  my question was when will i need to use the 32 or 64 but system file,  also how would i know that for eg, WAVE 274 is 32 or 64 bit?

And  in case i am using WAVE SM on a ISR router like 2900 ISR, will i need to  use the SM/SRE install zip file to upgrade instead of normal upgrade  for appliances?

Most of these are used for recovery purposes only. For an upgrade, you should be fine using the Universal binary for all your devices.

I hope this helps

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your help.

but I had a small question in regards to the below -

Also when do back up of the config, using "cms database backup" likewise  whats the way to back up the image onto the ftp server??
You first do the backup and then copy it to an FTP server with the "WAE# copy disk ftp" command

I wanted to (backup) upload the current software image to the ftp server. I guess you are talking about the cms database.

Regards,

Mohit

Hi Mohit,

Sorry, I misread your mesage and I thought you were talking about the CMS backup.

To answer your question, it's not possible to make a backup of the installed software image, but anyway, this should not be an issue since you can just download it from cisco.com

Regards

Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

just to take you slightly away from this, could you direct me to right place to read through for upgrading the software on the 2911 router that has a WAAS SM?

Cheers,.

Mohit

Hi Mohit,

Having a SM doesn't have any impact on the way the router is upgraded. Just follow the normal procedure.

Regards

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, i have successfully upgraded all the WAAS appliances and the WAAS SM on the ISR router too.

Regards,

Mohit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: