Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Wireless AP density question....

Unanswered Question
Jun 12th, 2012
User Badges:

Hi everyone,

I am not very good at wifi... but we just setup a wifi system. Someone brings up an question... In a single conference room...let's say...about 1000 square feet conference room. Currently I have a AP mounting on the top wall. It is working fine. But let's say...there will be fifty..more or less people using connected to the single AP, would that affect the performance a lot?

Or if we add additional 2, or 3 more APs. WOuld that help the network performance/...or any kind of performance? The person mentioned about "density".

After renewing my CCNP...I will definitely buy a book to study for the wireless cert!

Thank you for your help!

Takami Chiro

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Stephen Rodriguez Tue, 06/12/2012 - 15:45
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

it depends on what they are doing.  If you are expecint ~50 people in that room, then i would proactivley put a second AP in there.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

George Stefanick Tue, 06/12/2012 - 15:53
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

To piggy back on Steve's comment...

All depends on the content. If you plan to do video and voice in this room on many of the 50 concurrent clients you will for sure feel some pain. It all goes back to how the 802.11 medium works. Its a half duplex medium. So only ONE client can talk at a time, "listen and then speak".

Normal web browsing you could get away with 1 ap, but would advise 2. If this is video / voice perhaps 3 aps. Low power, non conflicting channels. I might even advise direction anetnnas to better direct the coverage in the room. Again, I am not there or know what the room looks like but just making suggestions.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 06/12/2012 - 15:54
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Currently I have a AP mounting on the top wall.

What kind of WAP?  How high from the floor?

But let's say...there will be fifty..more or less people using connected to the single AP, would that affect the performance a lot?

What kind of traffic?  Emails and/or web would put a strain on your single WAP.   You may need to put another extra one.

Video streaming?  No chance you can get beyond 8 people to have good reception. 

Actions

This Discussion