Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast server shared by VRFs and global routing table

parisdooz12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we intend to install a single multicast server on our network, which will be used by users different services.

The "problem" is that the users are in subnet in different VRFs, and some are in subnets directly in the global routing table.

What I would like to do is a specific VRF dedicated to host the multicast server, then to redistribute export multicast traffic in other VRFs and global table.

My questions are:

- is it possible to export multicast traffic from a VRF to another one ?

- is it possible to export multicast traffic from a VRF to the global IP table ?

Thanks in adance for any help

Regards

P.

2 Replies 2

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

In my understanding there is no direct way of leaking multicast traffic from one VRF to another VRF but we can achieve the multicast communication across different VRFs using MSDP session between the RPs of the two VRFs assuming the unicast route-leaking is already in place.

I think similar approach can be used for multicast communication between GRT and VRF using MSDP.

Regards

Varma

Hi,

I finally found the solution which is quite simple:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/extvpnsb.html

- between 2 VRFs, the feature is natively available on the chassis. The only thing is that it is necessary to apply  impot/export rules to make the RPF possible.

- between a VRF and the global IP table: I still need to study that more deeply, but it seems it's possible ith a stat mroute, still for the RPF resolution

P.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: