cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip address on BVI interface

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hello, on a cisco 1524 acting as mesh ap , we can see the ip address method under sh ip interface brief, even though the ip is statically set on the ap.

Any inputs on why this should happen.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Suthomas,

Can you please explain your query in detail????

the ap has been assigned an ip address statically, which means we should not be seeing dhcp as the assignment method on the sh ip int brief output.

In the above case, output of sh ip int brief shows the assignment method on the BVI interface as DHCP eventhoug it is static.

Sh run int BVI indicates a static ip as well.

any inputs on why it is so strange.

Thanks.

gamalielcruz
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_13_JA/configuration/guide/s13frst_ps4570_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1034613

"When you connect the access point to the wired  LAN, the access point links to the network using a bridge virtual  interface (BVI) that it creates automatically. Instead of tracking  separate IP addresses for the access point's Ethernet and radio ports,  the network uses the BVI."

Hope this helps.

I got your question suthomas.... Pls correct me if my statement is wrong... Eventhough u assigned a static ip on the bvi interface.... but the show interface output shows it has been assigned thru dynamic one...

It should not show as dynamic any how when u forced it to static assignment.... This is little starnge....

can u paste the configurations of the bvi interface and dot11 interface.....

Also can u paste sh int bvi output as well....

You can try one thing.... on the dot11 interface you can have an access group created to block bootps to bootpc...

ip access-list extended block_dhcp

deny   udp any eq bootps any eq bootpc
permit ip any any

!

interface dot11radio x

ip access-group block_dhcp in

!

Pls verify if this solves your problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: