Helpful
Replies

upgrading vss from sxi1 --> sxi4

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my dual 6509 VSS enviornment from

s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI1 --> s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4.

They are dual WS-C6509-E with MOD's: VS-S720-10G (VS-F6K-PFC3C)

I followed Cisco's Document seen here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1169499

I used the EFSU method and it was a complete failure, I follwed the instructions very carefully.

as soon as I did the "issu loadversion"  the standby chassis did what it was suppose to, reboot.  As soon as it came back up with the correct code it reboot again, it went into a rebooting loop that couldn't be stopped.  It then attempted to reboot to the old code and it was giving the same mismatch error in show logging.  I opened up a severity 1 case and they were able to get it to stop looping by issuing the following command:

redundancy config-sync ignore mismatched-commands

My question now is, should I avoid using EFSU and stick to the standard FSU upgrade method?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you have an outage window just load the new IOS into both primary and backup, change the boot variable and reboot both devices,

Although eFSU works but is not always very graceful

Also SXI4 is at least a couple years old

If you are upgrading you may load a later ver of SXI or SXJ

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Just note that when you try to download SXI4 from the Cisco website, you'll be asked to click on a disclaimer.  SXI4 has been known to have some destructive bug deemed "almost" critical by Cisco.  So if you really, really, really want to use this IOS then it's you're call.  Frankly, I wouldn't touch this version with a ten-foot-pole!

2.  I tried ISSU once and that was the last.  I did the next few IOS upgrade the old-fashion-way:  Copy the IOS to both sup-bootflash: and slavesup-bootflash: and then change the bootstring and reboot.

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

All I'm looking for is a stable code to allow port channel load balancing, source destination IP. What code would you recommend? Also when you guys say reboot, do you mean reload the whole the VSS environment at once?

Thanks!

Yes reboot means reload the entire VSS pair

All theses IOS versions support Etherchannel and source destination is default for the 6500 series

HTH

Thank you all for your feed back.  I guess I should've been a little more clear with the source dest ip.

since this is a VSS running SXI1 I'm running into this bug:

EC with enhanced hash method (PFC3C) has no knob to use old method (3B)

Symptom:
A PFC3C based system operating in 3C operating mode would automatically
include vlan in loadbalance hashing algorithm.

Conditions:
A PFC3C based system operating in 3C mode.

Workaround:
none.

Further Problem Description:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCso79925

I need to be able to put in this command: port-channel load- balance src-dst-ip exclude vlan

It says it's fixed in the following:

Fixed-In

Fixed-in

12.2(32.8.11)SR141

12.2(33)XNC

12.2(33)SRD

12.2(32.0)DPI

12.2(32.8.11)SX298

12.2(33.2.15)SXI

12.2(33)SXH6

12.2(33)SXI3

12.2(33)ZI

12.2(33)SXI4

So what would be a stable code to be able to do that command?

Thanks

Hi,

Any of the version later then SXI4 would have the fix for this bug. Note, btw, that this train is to be end-of-sale and end-of-life in September this year:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/eol_c51-697077.html

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Any of the version later then SXI4 would have the fix for this bug. Note, btw, that this train is to be end-of-sale and end-of-life in September this year:

Thanks Ivan.

I have never seen an IOS level that quickly made it into the end-of-sale list. 

SXI9                                                                                                           is the latest I see on the cisco.com. Also, you can move to SXJ.

I do not have information on whcih of them would be most stable though.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco