cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant WLC-5508 Deployment Licensing

scottsassin
Level 1
Level 1

I am deploying a redundant WLC-5508.  We purchased 2, each with the base license of 50 AP's.  After the survey, we determined that we need an additional 9 access points.  Do we have to purchase 2 upgrade licenses?  If so, can we get them in increments of 5, similar to the 2500 series WLC's?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
After the survey, we determined that we need an additional 9 access points.  Do we have to purchase 2 upgrade licenses?

Yes.  You need to purchase TWO (2) licenses.

Here's the difficulty with your scenario:

For unknown reason, someone in Cisco has determine that, in your case, you have an appliance with 50 bases license and you need to add 9 WAPs.  Logic dictates that you could potentially get a 25-base license right?  Not in this case.  Your minimum license you can get is 100-base license.

Because of this, I would recommend that you raise a TAC Case and potentially get both of the WLC RMA-ed.  Tell TAC that you want to get a 25-base license ADDED to both units.  (Bringing the total to 75.)

Message was edited by: Leo Laohoo

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
After the survey, we determined that we need an additional 9 access points.  Do we have to purchase 2 upgrade licenses?

Yes.  You need to purchase TWO (2) licenses.

Here's the difficulty with your scenario:

For unknown reason, someone in Cisco has determine that, in your case, you have an appliance with 50 bases license and you need to add 9 WAPs.  Logic dictates that you could potentially get a 25-base license right?  Not in this case.  Your minimum license you can get is 100-base license.

Because of this, I would recommend that you raise a TAC Case and potentially get both of the WLC RMA-ed.  Tell TAC that you want to get a 25-base license ADDED to both units.  (Bringing the total to 75.)

Message was edited by: Leo Laohoo

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card