Helpful
Replies

Cisco aironet 1142 -- LIGHTWEIGHT

jcarranza2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Good morning

Can anyone help me with the case below?

We have a Cisco aironet 1162N connected to a Wireless Controller (LIGHTWEIGHT mode), the device failed and it needs to be replaced.

We have a Cisco aironet 1142N in stock available to use.

Can we proceed with the change just with disconnect the failed AP (model: 1162N ) and connect the new one (model: 1142N)?

Or there is any other task to be done before the change? since the WLC manages the configuration for each AP.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jefry

8 Replies 8

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jefry,

I think you mean 1262.

Yes, there could be something. How are your access points learning the controller IP address today?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello,

yes it is 1262, no sure the process that AP learn the controller IP, but we have several AP's connected to WLC (model: 4400), it takes an IP address from DHCP pool and assign it to each AP, WLC is connected to Cisco switch.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Out of the box the ap doesn't know where the controller lives. Most folks will do option 43, DNS, manual prime etc.

If you have 1262 already on the network you may have some process set up.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello, I need to connect the replace device: AP model 1142N, I'm not able to see the configuration now.

What is the process to connect this AP (model: 1142N) to the WLC (4400)? I think I don't need to do any change on the WLC, but I need to confirm and also not sure if I need to configure something on the new AP, since the old AP was a model 1262.

Hello,

AP: 1262 is dead. I'm not able to see old configuration. new AP is not connected to the network yet.

My queston is: there are any process to configure the new AP (settings like: AP host name, vlan, etc)? via console session before connect it to the WCL? or once the new AP is connected to the WCL I can configure it with basic settings?

Regards,

If the AP connected switch has Management vlan of WLC then new AP can be joined to WLC without manual intervention and can change the HA.

Unfortunately, telnet & ssh is disabled on out of box AP, even it is enabled it is not supported until it joins the WLC. However through console you can configure HA, manually join AP to specific WLC,..

Out of box AP configuration:-

Configuring AP info:-

Debug capwap console cli

Debug capwap client no-reload

capwap ap hostname

capwap ap ip address

capwap ap ip default-gateway

capwap ap controller ip address

Configuring HA on AP manually:-

capwap ap primary-base

capwap ap secondary-base

capwap ap tertiary-base

How to manually force an AP to join specific WLC:-

test capwap controller ip

test capwap controller name

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once you join to the wlc you can config ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

ok, I´ll connect it to the WLC and let you know if a have any other issue.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: