Cisco AnyConnect VPN connection did not change my public IP on Windows 7 64 bit

Answered Question
Jun 15th, 2012

Hi,

I installed a Cisco AnyConnect VPN client from my school so that I  can access school's network from my Windows 7 laptop at home. I was able  to connect but when I used http://www.whatismyip.com/, it still shows  the IP assigned by my ISP.  At the  "Network and Sharing Center", I have both my original LAN and the VPN  LAN up but the VPN LAN's access type is "No Internet Access". The VPN  connection seems to have activities based on the changing bytes sent and  received.

I searched the web for solutions and modified something such as adding the gateway. But it did not help.

Thanks for your help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Jennifer Halim about 1 year 10 months ago

Split tunnel is probably configured so only traffic destined towards the school networks are going through the VPN tunnel, and traffic destined towards the Internet goes straight out via your local ISP. That is why whatismyip is showing your ISP public IP Address.

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jennifer Halim Fri, 06/15/2012 - 19:48

Split tunnel is probably configured so only traffic destined towards the school networks are going through the VPN tunnel, and traffic destined towards the Internet goes straight out via your local ISP. That is why whatismyip is showing your ISP public IP Address.

zlizli2000 Fri, 06/15/2012 - 19:53

Thanks a lot for the answer, Jennifer. I did some searches on the web and suspected that the split tunnel might be the reason. Thanks for your confirmation.

adilghanchi Fri, 11/15/2013 - 09:36

I am having the same problem on my Windows 8 laptop trying school's VPN. But how do I configure split tunneling to get internet access through Cisco Anyconnect?

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted June 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Stats:
Replies:3 Avg. Rating:5
Views:917 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard