Views
Helpful
Replies

trunk or etherchannel

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have a new switch being installed at building A in a site. this site already has another production switch ( in stacked mode ) in building B.

My query is:

1. As the connection from new switch at location A will be going to the same switch at B, is it better to do a etherchannel at both ends or plain trunk would be better.

2. Or is etherchannel only done when each of the two uplinks from one switch goes to two different switches?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Warren.Arthur
Level 1
Level 1

Etherchannel is the best way to go in my opinion, redundancy is the best way to keep your both sites up and running!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ryates_presido
Level 1
Level 1

Are you saying you are adding the new switch to a stack? Or is this a separate switch not connected to the stack?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

this is a seperate new single switch. It is to be connected to this existing switch stack , but via cable media because of distance and not stacked cable.

Hi,

Let me put it this way, Etherchannel gives your not only higher bandwith by bundling a number of interfaces into one, it also gives you a level of redundancy over link failures and helpes load balancing traffic over links in the bundle, and also an etherchannel port can be a TRUNK at the same time. an Etherchannel Trunk

So, since an etherchannel link can be Trunk, its totaly up to you to decide with the benefits of an etherchannel, whether you want to use it or not.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

1. As the connection from new switch at location A will be going to  the same switch at B, is it better to do a etherchannel at both ends or  plain trunk would be better.

Etherchannel- since it gives you redundancy over link failures

2. Or is etherchannel only done when each of the two uplinks from one switch goes to two different switches?

You can etherchannel to two different switches if those 2 switches are part of a stack.

In your case you can connect one link from the switch at building A to switch1 in the Stack and the 2nd link to switch2 in the stack at SiteB

Siddhartha

Warren.Arthur
Level 1
Level 1

Etherchannel is the best way to go in my opinion, redundancy is the best way to keep your both sites up and running!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card