Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunk Monitoring on UC 520

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts ,

How can I monitor the status of the SIP Trunk on Cisco UC 500 Series (UC520) Device ?

Being mostly on the Security/Switching , I have very limited exposure to the Cisco Voice domain.

From the search that I have done the following are the conclusions. Please correct me if I am wrong

1. I could have used RTMT (Real Time Monitoring Tool ) if the whole VoIP was setup on Cisco Call Manager

2. Being a Small Business platform , I could have used Cisco Monitor Manager but it has reached EOL/EOS and is no more.

• Are there any options to monitor and alert the status of the SIP Trunk ( Registered or Disconnected ) on Cisco Configuration Assistant (which is the only way by which UC 500 Series Device can be configured and monitored , I believe) ?
  • Can Options Ping which is available on CUBE Devices, be used to monitor the status of SIP Trunk ? I have read it 's like a heartbeat mechanism . Not sure !
  • Are there any Third Party Free /Paid Applications available for the purpose ?

Please help

Regards,

Anup

Regards,
Anup
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you would find the OIDs you want, then use one of the many SNMP monitoring tools. I believe you could also download the OID list for CME -- it should be the same as UC500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6815/config_guide_eem_configuration_for_cisco_integrated_services_router_platforms.html

The above doc is for EEM... basically EEM allows you to trigger TCL scripts (a scripting language) based on certain events... such as syslog, snmp, certain cli commands, etc. From TCL you can do things like: run CLI commands, send email, etc...

This is for IP SLA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsvoipj.html

It doesn't fit exactly what you want -- I don't think you can monitor a SIP trunk with it... but it can measure things like Jitter, Latency, Packetloss, Up/Down on your connection -- which can be handy when working with SIP.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

There is nothing available in CCA to do this. (You can check the status manually, but no tools with alerts or anything like that)

There are solutions for this that involve CLI:

1. SNMP

2. EEM/TCL

3. IP SLA

The UC500 platform is basically CME (Call Manager Express), so just about anything that you can find for that platform will apply here too.

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply , Daniel.

I was looking at the SNMP option too .So I will have to a SNMP walk on the device and get the custom OIDs and monitor them using some monitoring tool . Is that right ?

Can you help with what EEM/TCL and IP SLA are ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Regards,
Anup

Yes, you would find the OIDs you want, then use one of the many SNMP monitoring tools. I believe you could also download the OID list for CME -- it should be the same as UC500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6815/config_guide_eem_configuration_for_cisco_integrated_services_router_platforms.html

The above doc is for EEM... basically EEM allows you to trigger TCL scripts (a scripting language) based on certain events... such as syslog, snmp, certain cli commands, etc. From TCL you can do things like: run CLI commands, send email, etc...

This is for IP SLA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsvoipj.html

It doesn't fit exactly what you want -- I don't think you can monitor a SIP trunk with it... but it can measure things like Jitter, Latency, Packetloss, Up/Down on your connection -- which can be handy when working with SIP.

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Thats great . Thanks , Daniel . It was most helpful .

Also are you aware of any third party applications (Free/Paid) which is capable of monitoring a SIP trunk status ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Regards,
Anup

I am not unfortunately.

I think this is a case where pretty much any solution (except SNMP I guess) would have to be custom.

There is TONS of SNMP tools available, both free and paid.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: