Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH Login on Cisco IP Phone

Hello Folks,

I have a quite confusion over here. We are running CUCM 8.5. We want know the exact procedure to enable SSH login on cisco ip phone.

Your answer is much appreciated.

Kulasekara Raja. K

3 Replies 3

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Look at the procedure below

SSH with PuTTY to Cisco IP Phone

PuTTY freeware Windows client:

To generate a public/private key pair:

Download and then Launch puttygen.exe

It should default to SSH-2 RSA, 1024 bits, which will work.

Click "Generate"

Move the mouse around in the blank area to generate "randomness" as instructed .Edit the "Key comment", to work with the IP Phone SSH key with the value "default@cisco"

Optionally, add a "Key passphrase" and "Confirm passphrase", i.e. cisco123 Click "Save private key" and provide a filename for this key. It will later be referenced by PuTTY.

Create a text file called authorized_keys and open it in notepad. Copy the entire text from the section titled "Public key for pasting into OpenSSH? authorized_keys file" and paste it into the file just created and opened in notepad and then save it. Now copy that file on to the TFTP server .

Now this key should be active and ready for use. To open an SSH session to the phone using this key with PuTTY:

Launch PuTTY

In the Connection -> SSH -> Auth section, click "Browse", find the private key file you previously saved and choose it.

In the Connection -> Data section, enter 'default' for the "Auto-login username:"

In the Session section, enter the IP address of the phone To save these parameters for re-use, enter a Name for this profile in the "Saved Sessions" box and click the "Save" button.

Click "Open" at the bottom of the PuTTY? window.

After 10-15 secs, you should get a passphrase prompt (if you entered one for the key). Enter it (i.e. cisco123) If all is successful, you should get a login: prompt.

At this point, you can now login to the phone with UN/PW default/user.

You should then get a % prompt.

Courtesy of Ryan, Cisco TAC

Please rate useful posts

"For the love of God is broader than the measure of man's mind And the heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind"

Please rate all useful posts

Everything great here, except I do not know how to do:

"Now copy that file on to the TFTP server ."

How do I copy my "authorized_keys.txt" to where it needs to go?  Thanks.

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: