cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 2K with ASA 5520 Mgmt0 ports

n_schloemer
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure our Nexus 2K's for our ASA 5520 management ports.  We have 2 bundles (4 mgmt0 ports) and when i connect them to the 2K's the interfaces continue to show disconnected.  I have attempted to put the ASA MGMT0 interface directly into our 5K's with a GLCT-s but still the link lights dont appear and nothing comes up.  When i plug the same cable attached to the MGMT0 port of the ASA's to a catalyst switch or my own laptop i get link lights and everything begins to work.  What am I missing on the Nexus switches so the MGMT interfaces show up?

BTW the fex come back as up and online with no errors, so i dont think it is a fex configuration (but it could be).

Thanks for the help in advance!           

5 Replies 5

vdsudame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

when you connect the asa 5520 management ports to catalyst switch or your laptop, do you know whether they are coming up with 100mb speed ? Not sure if asa is auto negotiating at lower speeds. just curious.

Vin.

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

ASA 5510 and 5520 has 100mbps mgmt ports.

Interface Management0/0 "failover", is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is i82557, BW 100 Mbps, DLY 100 usec

Auto-Duplex(Full-duplex), Auto-Speed(100 Mbps)

You need FEX that is capable of 100 Mbps like 2248 and set speed manually to 100mbps on FEX port using speed command.

Also note that non of the nexus family of switches (5K and 2K atleast) negotiates to half duplex.

ok, if that is the case.. and if you have 2248 fex, then under fex hif interface you need to configure 'speed 100' command explicitly and making sure duplex full. That should bring up the port. If you have any other type of fex, this will not work. Also the n5k base ports dont support 100mb so it wont work when connected directly to n5k.

Vin

n_schloemer
Level 1
Level 1

Just to confirm we have the 2232TM, which wont support 100mb?  So this configuration wont work?

Thanks again for the quick responses!

correct .. please look at the below Nexus 2000 data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps10110/data_sheet_c78-507093.html

Table 1. Cisco Nexus 2000 Series  Specifications

The Cisco Nexus 2232TM 1/10GBASE-T Fabric Extender  supports scalable 1/10GBASE-T environments, ease of migration from  1GBASE-T to 10GBASE-T, and effective reuse of existing structured  cabling. It comes with an uplink module that supports eight 10 Gigabit  Ethernet fabric interfaces.

2224TP, 2248TP, 2248TP-E support 100mb. 2232TM does not.

Thanks, Vin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: