Jun 20th, 2012

Hello!

I am testing our new wireless network using

1 Cisco 2504 wireless controller with 5 licenses

4 Cisco Air LAP 1142N Access Point

I configured it very simple for testing

There is only one interface and vlan is untaggetd

There is also only one WLAN with one SSID

Currently security setting is WPA + WPA2 + PSK (I also tested with no security setup)

Wlan session time is diabled and controller user idle timeout is set to 1000000 (Max)

c2504.jpgwlan.jpgint.jpg

AP boot version is 12.4.23.3 and ISO version is 12.4(23c)JA3

Problem is clinet(iphone) does not automatically associate with 1142N Access Point

even after it learned network. Phone has to be authenticated again to connect to network

same iphone can automatically associate with old 1220 Access point but not with New AP

if I urn off and turn back on wifi from iphone, it does see the network but does not connect

but I have to manually reconnect to it with password

I want iphone to connect known network without reauthentication process after iphone's wifi function is turn on

Did I miss any setting for this or am I dreaming?

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by daviwatk about 1 year 9 months ago

So what's the problem?  You associated, make proper key exchange, perform DHCP, and enter the RUN state.  Looks like everything is going good until 12:39 when the M5 group broadcast key is updated and the client doesn't respond.  My guess is that it is "sleeping".  We end up deauthenticating the client from the AP.  Other than that, it appears the client connected just fine and received an address.

It sounds like you're asking why you have to keep re-typing your PSK everytime you attempt to "initially" connect to the WLAN.  Sounds like a client issue.  Have you tried to perform a "Reset Network Connections"? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2299836?start=0&tstart=0

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Looks like several other iDevice users have hit this.  When they "reboot" they phone it will join automatically, however if they are "waking" the phone after having been connected, they're beeing prompted for PSK every time.

Irrelevant of the key caching discussed previously, the phone shouldn't forget it's "configured" PSK used to derive it's keys, whether it had appropriate PMKID or not for the BSSID.

Average Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Scott Fella Wed, 06/20/2012 - 12:57

Make sure you only use either wpa/tkip or wpa2/aes and not both or a mix of two. iDevices don't like a mix.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

cbang@galichia.com Wed, 06/20/2012 - 13:12

Thank you for your reply

but I tried that already. I even tried without any security (I mean no layer 2 or layer 3 security) and it still won't connect

Any idea?

Scott Fella Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:07

So any other clients connect fine? Is it multiple iDevices or just one? Can you post your show run-config and a debug client

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Scott Fella Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:16

Have you tried rebooting the iPhone. I run into that issue once in a while and that fixes my issue with my iPhone or iPad.

cbang@galichia.com Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:29

I believe, I have not. I will try that first thing in the morning when I get back to work.

Thank you

Scott Fella Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:30

Let me know... It happens to me once in a while and a reboot fixes it for me.

cbang@galichia.com Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:37

I just came back home. My iphone is working fine with other networks in my home and church, so I believe something wrong with that 2504 controller setting at work

Thank you

Scott Fella Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:41

I run a 2504 at home with multiplied SSIDs but run into the same issue with my PSK SSID. I might be able to connect to my other SSID, but not my main SSID my iPhone connects to. Just try again tomorrow and see. Did you manually add the wireless profile to your iPhone or did you broadcast the SSID and then clicked on the SSID and have the iPhone prompt you for the PSK?

cbang@galichia.com Wed, 06/20/2012 - 18:50

I enabled Broadcast SSID so that clients can see the network and then prompt for the PSK

Thank you

Leo Laohoo Wed, 06/20/2012 - 20:45

Run the newer code 7.2.X if you have iDevices in your network.  There are improvements particularly iPhone's "flavour" of sticky MAC authentication which can cause issues with lower codes.

Scott Fella Wed, 06/20/2012 - 20:54

Leo,

The "sticky" has a limit of 8 access points, so in larger environments, the cache of the keys for the iDevices is limit to 8 access points.

cbang@galichia.com Wed, 06/20/2012 - 20:57

leolaohoo wrote:

Run the newer code 7.2.X if you have iDevices in your network.  There are improvements particularly iPhone's "flavour" of sticky MAC authentication which can cause issues with lower codes.

You mean 2500 Series controller software 7.2.110.0 (ED) or 7.2.103.0(ED)?

Thank you

cbang@galichia.com Thu, 06/21/2012 - 05:32

Scott, what is your controller software version in your home?

Leo, I will try today and I will let you

Thank you

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Scott Fella Thu, 06/21/2012 - 05:34

Well I run various code, since I do some beta testing.  I have ran all the 6.x, 7.x code on the 2504 I have.

cbang@galichia.com Wed, 06/20/2012 - 20:48

Scott Fella wrote:

So any other clients connect fine?  Is it multiple iDevices or just one?  Can you post your show run-config and a debug client

Ok here is my  sh run-config. I will post debug client tomorrow morning

Thank you

cbang@galichia.com Thu, 06/21/2012 - 07:03

Scott Fella wrote:

So any other clients connect fine?  Is it multiple iDevices or just one?  Can you post your show run-config and a debug client

I tried different brand of laptop, different version of driods, iphones, ipads, blackberry. so far  ipad and iphone are only client which has this problem. Thank you

Correct Answer
daviwatk Thu, 06/21/2012 - 09:55

So what's the problem?  You associated, make proper key exchange, perform DHCP, and enter the RUN state.  Looks like everything is going good until 12:39 when the M5 group broadcast key is updated and the client doesn't respond.  My guess is that it is "sleeping".  We end up deauthenticating the client from the AP.  Other than that, it appears the client connected just fine and received an address.

It sounds like you're asking why you have to keep re-typing your PSK everytime you attempt to "initially" connect to the WLAN.  Sounds like a client issue.  Have you tried to perform a "Reset Network Connections"? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2299836?start=0&tstart=0

Looks like several other iDevice users have hit this.  When they "reboot" they phone it will join automatically, however if they are "waking" the phone after having been connected, they're beeing prompted for PSK every time.

Irrelevant of the key caching discussed previously, the phone shouldn't forget it's "configured" PSK used to derive it's keys, whether it had appropriate PMKID or not for the BSSID.

cbang@galichia.com Thu, 06/21/2012 - 10:20

David Watkins wrote:

I tried rebooting those iphones but this steps

Yes it solved the both iphones and ipads problem.

Setting > General > Reset > Reset Network Setting

Can you guess how many iphone and ipad I tested had same problem?

I guess now I have to set all previously known networks up again since I just removed the network configuration profile

Thank you

Scott Fella Thu, 06/21/2012 - 12:24

Chris,

If you have an issue with every iPad or iPhone after the device goes to sleep, then I would either remove the WLAN and recreate it (no symbols in the PSK) or erase the wlc config and start from scratch.

When I run into issues, it's not every time my device goes to sleep. It might be once or twice a month.

cbang@galichia.com Thu, 06/21/2012 - 12:54

Scott,

Yes clients were not sleeping every time.

I probably create new WLANS and need to change VLAN setting in interface also

when I deploy them into production network later.

Thank you for your advice.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted June 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Stats:
Replies:24 Avg. Rating:5
Views:1900 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard