cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP121 doesn't accept SSID's with a space in them

peritusit
Level 1
Level 1

Although it does accept it in the setup wizard, you cannot change it in the vap list later on, it will throw a popup telling you there's an invalid character.

Anyone's got a solution? I'm running firmwarte 1.0.0.3

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The inconsistent for the "space" character from Wizard and Web GUI was known before the release of the original firmware version 1.0.0.3. It was too late to have the fixed put in that released due to long process of GPL process. This issue will be fixed in the next available MR firmware for both models (WAP121 and WAP321), no firm date yet, however, it is soon. Thank you for your comments/inputs and I always appreciated your business with Cisco.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

alepatte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mikael,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Small Business.

One of the way how you can resolve this issue is to select that SSID and disable it and then create a new SSID without any special characters in it's name.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco SBSC engineer

CCNA

Yeah... I know... I have a cutomer that would like to keep their current SSID so they won't have to log alle PC's on again...

So there's no sulution for this and it is a bug. Will it be adressed in a future firmware ? How do I bake sure this bug get's to the right people?

Hi Mikael,

It is not recommended to have a space in SSID.  You might consider to have underscore (_)instead of space in your SSID.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco SBSC engineer

CCNA

Possibly... But it works and afaik it isn't unsupported?

And still it is not very consistent that the WAP121 supports it in the wizard and not in the GUI afterwards so you actually can get in a situation where you can open a window and then not close it again because the data already entered is "invalid"...

This must be regarded as a bug!?! I'm just trying to get someone to recognize that at get word to the firmware developers so that it will be fixed at some point/iteration of the firmware? What you are supplying me here is a workaround, and that is fine... But if noone tells the developers it won't be fixed and you'll have other frustrated customers....

Possibly this isn't the right channel, is there another channel where I can create a real support case if you cannot convey the message?

Hi Mikael,

I am sorry that above suggestions is not working for you.

May I suggest in that case, to give us a call at 1-866-606-1866 so that we can look more into this issue.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco SBSC Engineer

CCNA

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Please be assured this has been addressed with the Business Unit and Development Team. We are in the process of ironing this out and making sure that all of our documentation is stating this correctly.

If you mouse over my info to the right it will give you my email and you can contact me directly.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

peritusit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eric,

Thanks for replying, this was all I wanted to achieve. I just wanted to let you know there was a bug, so you could fix it in future releases - one way or another...

Thanks agan.

Thank you both, I'm troubleshooting the same thing on a WAP321.  It's nice to see an informative response like Eric's properly addressing the issue as opposed to just stating that spaces are not recommended, despite the fact that the documentation supports ASCII 0x20 as a valid character.

Cheers

The inconsistent for the "space" character from Wizard and Web GUI was known before the release of the original firmware version 1.0.0.3. It was too late to have the fixed put in that released due to long process of GPL process. This issue will be fixed in the next available MR firmware for both models (WAP121 and WAP321), no firm date yet, however, it is soon. Thank you for your comments/inputs and I always appreciated your business with Cisco.

Cheers.

Great looking forward to that release...

But in turn that info makes the reply from the first responder even worse :-(

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

The limitation is in the HTML management GUI, not in the AP itself.  Create the SSIDs without spaces, save the configuration and download the XML file to your computer.  Edit the XML file to include the spaces, upload it to the startup configuration of the WAP121, reboot and everything will work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: