cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300-10 and SF 300-08 dropping configuration after reboot

nikolasrock83
Level 1
Level 1

My company uses the SG 300-10 and SF 300-08 switches to deliver services to our customers. We have been using the upgraded firmware version 1.1.2.0. Our normal procedure is to configure the switches in house and upgrade the firmware before sending them out to the customers. The configurations are confirmed in house after the new firmware has been loaded. Recently we have had several of these switches lose the Vlan configuration that we setup. These incidents have occurred after power outages and scheduled reboots. We do not generally have to reboot our customer switches. But we would like to know if this is a known error and if they are any recommended fixes?

11 Replies 11

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Nikolas,

My name is David, and I am an engineer with the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for writing.

Do you know if you saved the configuration on the switch? When you make changes to the configuration, the settings go into the running-config file. In order for these changes to be preserved across reboots, they must be copied to the startup-config file. You can do this by going to Administration>File Management>Copy/Save Configuration.

If this has already been done, I would try reflashing the firmware image with the latest version. If you still have problems, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-866-606-1866. We will be happy to assist you further.

Hey David,

Yes, we ensure that the configurations are saved before we reboot. Is there a firmware version later than the 1.1.2.0? We have rebooted other switches with the upgraded firmware and they work fine. We have just noticed this issue with a few of our customer switches. If it persists we won't hesitate to contact you. Thanks

Nikolas,

The newest firmware is 1.2.5:  Software Download Center

David: Nice to see you on here!

Best,
David

Nikolas,

Mr. Wagman is correct. I would also review the release notes before upgrading. They can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/release_notes/R_1.2.5_RN.pdf

As you see, this release adds a number of great featues, among them updated security options and flash encryption.

I have heard of similar symptoms to your problem only once. Flashing the firmware resolved the issue.

Mr. Wagman: Thank you, Sir. It's great to have your very helpful input as well.

fanto.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we've a similar issue with SG300-28 switches, running with the latest 1.2.5.70 firmware. Before reboot, the running-conf and startup-conf are identical (saved via gui, write mem or via copy command). After reboot, the running config is different (wrong) and startup looks like before (ok). We encoutered the same issue with old 1.1.2.0 firmware and upgrade didn't solve it.

Thanks for your support!

Hello,

there's only one known workaround - reset switch to the factory defaults and configure it from the scratch. It looks like XML format of config file has changed in new firmware as it's not a standard IOS.

Looking for the solution, because you need permanent serial connection to the remote switches for upgrade purposes.

Thanks!

Here're some links:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3525983#3525983

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2135607

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2156227

Hi everyone,

Can we clarify what exactly is changing? If it is VLAN information, this sounds like the smart port roles are negotiating and not giving a desirable outcome. I have several times run in to instances where the smartport roles negotiate and making strange vlan tags or trunks when not wanted there.

What other part of the configuration is changing? Some of the dynamic features include smartport, STP, auto voice, port security, storm control and QoS. If anything of these configurations are changing without you making the changes it can be addressed accordingly.  If it is any other configuration, please let us know.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hey Thomas,

The switches were losing their vlan configurations. I have downloaded the newest firmware upgrade suggested by David and will test it in our internal environment. I will provide any feedback that I have after this testing. Thank you for your assistance on this issue.

Hi Nikolas,

Just to share my experience, I'm using SG200 50/50 switch and have 7 of them.

The current firmware was 1.1.2.0 in all of the switches.

I made changes to one of the switches, let say change Ports 1 - 10 from VLAN 10 to VLAN 20.

I saved the configuration and it works fine, however, when I tried to reboot the switch,

Ports 1 - 10 go back again to VLAN 10. Meaning it went back to old config.

I upgraded the firmware to 1.2.5.7 and it is the same problem.

SOLUTION: (as per Tomas suggestion and based on what I did and solve the problem)

Reset the switch to the factory defaults and configure it from the scratch.

Hope this helps.

AC

tjugoretz
Level 4
Level 4

I was having this problem when connecting IP phones as well as reboots. I found it to be the Smartport configuration settings. I disabled Smartport and the switches are now maintaining VLAN membership after phone and switch reboots.

To disable the smart port globall / per port

config t

macro auto disable   <--- globally disable smart port

config t

int gi/fa xx

no macro auto smartport <--- disable smartport per interface

Just keep in mind you may have to manually set the ports.

The root cause of the issue is actually your CDP and LLDP advertisements as it dictates the auto smart port.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X