cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08 Newbie Questions

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently purchased the SG200-08 Smart Switch, but I have a few "newbie questions" about it as I get started using it.

The on board firmware shows 1.0.1.0. Is that the latest firmware to the switch?

Do I need to enable IPv6 Auto Configuration and DCHPv6 in my switch settings to be ready for IPv6 as my ISP rolls it out down the road?

How do I go about changing the switch's username? I was able to easily change the password, but having issues getting the username to change.

Do I need to do anything about the LLDP-MED settings? What exactly is that?

How do I confugure the System Time Settings so the switch functions in my time zone (USA Central Time)?

Thanks a bunch for any assistance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nathan,

1) Firmware: It looks like the latest firmware for the SG200-08 is 1.0.5.1.  You can get it in the software download center. I'm not sure if this link to the software will work, but lets see.

2) IPv6: Are you using NAT on your router? Are you going to be using ipv4 or ipv6 addresses internally? Making some assumptions about your network, I would leave it off for now.

3) Username: In ther web user interface, click on the administration drop down, then choose user accounts. You can add/edit/delete in here.

4) LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol) and CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) allow the switch to automatically discover its directly connected neighbors and see each other's abilities and settings. Do you use other Cisco devices on your network or IP phones? For example, the voice vlan can be automatically determined using LLDP/CDP.  Please see p. 53 in the SG200 manual here for further detail.

5) System time can be set under administration -> time settings -> system time.

Best,

David

Please rate any helpful posts.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nathan,

1) Firmware: It looks like the latest firmware for the SG200-08 is 1.0.5.1.  You can get it in the software download center. I'm not sure if this link to the software will work, but lets see.

2) IPv6: Are you using NAT on your router? Are you going to be using ipv4 or ipv6 addresses internally? Making some assumptions about your network, I would leave it off for now.

3) Username: In ther web user interface, click on the administration drop down, then choose user accounts. You can add/edit/delete in here.

4) LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol) and CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) allow the switch to automatically discover its directly connected neighbors and see each other's abilities and settings. Do you use other Cisco devices on your network or IP phones? For example, the voice vlan can be automatically determined using LLDP/CDP.  Please see p. 53 in the SG200 manual here for further detail.

5) System time can be set under administration -> time settings -> system time.

Best,

David

Thanks for the info on the firmware. I'm all updated now.

Not sure if we have NAT turned on yet or not since I just got the router yesterday (RV042G). We might have to turn on NAT or UPnP since we're wanting to use Back to My Mac with iCloud.

My Macs are showing both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in the network settings. We're not heavily using IPv6 for now since IPv4 works, but we're just wanting to be future proof when our ISP turns on IPv6 and be ready for it.

When I try to edit the "cisco" user acccount and change the name to my desired user account name, it's not changing. "cisco" just comes up in the drop down menu with no way to edit the username, just the password.

On our network, we are using the Cisco DPC3010 cable modem, Cisco RV042G router, and the Cisco SG200-08 switch. We're also using the Cisco SPA112 ADA for our VOIP service but probably going to swap it out for a Polycom KIRK 300 server with a couple of DECT handsets. With that info, anything we need to use LLDP-CDP for?

I want to use the SNTP server I believe for the System Time. Do I need to set it to Unicast or Broadcast? Do I need to enable DCHP on the TZ source? Anything else I need to input for DST?

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Nathan,

My guess is that NAT is already on - you have one public IP address from your ISP. Your router will use NAT (network address translation) to allow multiple clients (and either dynamically assign them private IPs via dhcp or you set them statically) to connect to the internet using the one public IP. It also sounds like your RV042G is assigning both ipv6 and ipv4 addresses, and theres nothing wrong with that. Unless you have specific information re: ipv6 from your isp, however, I would suggest not worrying about it until you hear from them. Are your macs connected to the router via the SG200 switch? If so, it looks like its passing ipv6 just fine.  UPnP is something completely different - thats with opening ports like you mentioned - its a way that your devices can communicate with the router to automatically enable the proper port forwarding for the device/application.

Regarding the username, create a new user account. I don't think you can edit the cisco user, but try deleting it after creating and testing a new user account..

I'm not familiar with the Polycom system, but I would leave the settings as default unless you are using true IP phones (rather than an ATA adapter). From a quick google of the polycom device, I don't think you will gain anything from LLDP/CDP as the handsets use regular cordless phone freqs. With my setup, we use cisco IP desk phones and cordless wifi phones, CDP makes life easy as the cisco access point, wifi phones, cisco switch, and cisco desk phones (connected via ethernet) see each other and know what they're dealing with automatically.

I don't see the SNTP setting for unicast / broadcast that you're looking at. For the switch to get the time from a sntp server, under administration -> time -> sntp settings, add a server, and then back on time-> system time, enable sntp server as the main clock source. What are you using as your sntp source? Do you have an internal sntp server? You don't need to enable dhcp on the sntp server.

May I also point you to the two manuals, I think they may be helpful:  RV042G  & SG200

Hope thats helpful.

Best,

David

We do have a Public IP from the ISP (would have to out where to look on the RV042G for it). When I go to iCloud Back to My Mac Preferences, it's saying to turn on NAT or UPnP on the router (for better performance), so not sure if NAT's on our not, but I'm pretty sure UPnP isn't.

Yep, I believe the RV042G is spitting out both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, so we're future proof there.

Sounds good on the settings. Probably won't mess with them unless our ISP tells us.

The Macs are connected to the SG200-08 with the SG200-08 connected to the RV042G. I believe you're right, all is well on IPv6.

Sounds good on the user accounts. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

The Polycom won't even be plugged into the SG200-08 if we get it. It'll be plugged directly into the RV042G and I have QoS all set there. The Polycom will be an IP phone through Ethernet but DECT for the cordless part. No Wi-Fi or anything else fancy.I'd like to use a Cisco IP desk phone and a Polycom cordless phone, but RingCentral says it'd clash on the network. Sounds like I don't need to worry about the LLDP/CDP settings.

Sounds good on the manuals and time settings. I'll dig around and see how it goes!

Thanks again!

Seems Cisco won't let you remove the default cisco account but I did change the pwd on it and created a different account with my desired username/pwd. That's working OK.

Is there anything I need to do to the GMT Time Zone Offset under the Time Settings?

Thanks!

Hi Nathan,

I am able to delete the cisco user on my SG300, but the firmware is slightly different. Maybe try updating to the latest firmware and try again? If that doesn't work, and I don't know how important that is to you, but you can double check with cisco small business support. They are top notch. You can also reach them via online chat.

In System Time, I have the time zone offset set to UTC-5 (which is EST for me). I enabled daylight savings and put the offset to 60 and USA.

You are definitely using NAT unless you have a bunch of public IPs, one per machine to be specific. To enable UPnP (p48 of the manual), on the Router, go to Setup -> UPnP and set to yes and save. You can add entries as necessary if your device doesn't automatically.

It doesn't sound like you'd benefit from LLDP/CDP with your current setup. I've never used ring central's service, but if you want to talk about voip options to get you a cisco desk phone, we can... Just a guess, it sounds like you have one "line" with ring central, and they probably don't want to let you register 2 IP phone devices to the same line.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Even with the latest firmware deleting the cisco user doesn't work. It's fine though. I can still create a custom account and be good. Not a major deal there.

Tweaked my DST settings for CST, but it's strange because my switch is showing the date for 1970. Should I post a screenshot of my settings so you can see what it's doing?

Sounds good about UPnP. I'll give that a spin and see how it goes.

Yeah, that's the issue with RingCentral. They don't want 2 IP phones as a single line. That's why we're stuck needing a Polycom cordless system. I like the Cisco Desk Phones and wish there was a way to use them and a cordless at once.

Thanks again!

Hi Nathan,

In system time, make sure you enable Main Clock Source(SNTP Servers), and apply. Then add a ntp server under sntp settings and enable polling. Save the config then check to see if it's polling the server. If its not working at that point, screenshots would be helpful.

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Here's my screenshots of what's going on so far. Thanks again for your help!

Nathan,

Edit one of the ntp servers to enable polling. It looks like its showing polling mode disabled.

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

That worked but I'm now getting tomorrow's date. Do I need to asjust my TZ settings for CST?

Hi Nathan,

In your last screenshot, GMT time zone offset is set to -5 (EST), please change to -4 (I think) for CST.

Best,

David

That helped. Got me on the right date. Still two hours ahead, but closer.

Nathan,

Weird. I also just noticed that in the screenshot above it said +5 (as in Pakistan, Uzbekistan time zone). I just want to double check you're on minus (-4) which should be CST but in reality right now its CDT (central daylight time -5) but the daylight savings offset of 60 mins should do that for you. Everything else in those screenshots look ok, but feel free to post updated ones. Also, you can try disabling polling on one and trying a different NTP server.

Best,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X