Views
Helpful
Replies

can not conncet with console port

zeinab.mahdavi
Level 1
Level 1

I had a Cisco AS5350 , and it works correctly through the year. but now

I could not conncet to it even with console cable .my windows is server 2008 ,COM1,9600, but in hyper terminal I couldnt see anything from cisco,

even I have change my console cable , but it still doesnt work.

would you please help !!!

Is it due to the gateway ?

12 Replies 12

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

It might be because of comp port driver issues with your system/console cable issues/machine console port.

So as per ur explaination you are nt able to login thru ssh/telnet as well.... Your device may got hung... so please do a restart and try. 1st restart your windows machine and try connecting through console.... then 2nd step you can try restrting the device itself.

HI Zeinab,

Sometimes it might also help to deactivate and reactivate the decice driver for the com port (in case you use a usb to serial adapter). You can do that with a right click and then disable - enable within the device manager.

Regards,

Nate

gamalielcruz
Level 1
Level 1

Try to reboot both devices. If still no go, you may want to try a known good working PC to connect to your Cisco device. If that works, then you've isolated the problem to your Windows Server. Otherwise, it may already be your Cisco device that's having a problem.

HTH.

Regards,

Gam

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I had a Cisco AS5350 , and it works correctly through the year. but now

I could not conncet to it even with console cable .my windows is server 2008 ,COM1,9600, but in hyper terminal I couldnt see anything from cisco,

even I have change my console cable , but it still doesnt work.

would you please help !!!

Is it due to the gateway ?

Hello Zeinab,

Is this the first time you are trying or it was warking earlier ...??

Try to do the following things :-

1) Try Connecting with different laptop or desktop with usb convertor

2) Try rebooting the ASA if it not in production.

Let us know your findings based on the above points .

Hope to Help !!

Ganeshh Iyer

As other have suggested there are several things that might be the cause of this problem. A good place to start is with the question of when was the last time that access to the 5350 was successful? Do you know of changes that have been made since this time?

One possibility is that there might be a problem with the PC or with the cable. There are a couple of things that you might try to investigate this possibility:

- use this PC and cable and connect to some other router. If it works then it is not a problem with the PC or the cable.

- try some other PC and some other cable to connect to the 5350. If this works then there was some problem with the PC or with the cable.

Another possibility might be that the speed settings on the console have been changed. There are a couple of things that you might try to investigate this possibility:

- try moving the cable from the console connection to the aux connection. Depending on the configuration of the 5350 the aux might be active or it might not, but it is worth a try. If the connection to the aux presents output or accepts input then you know that there is some issue with the console connection.

- try putting the cable back on the console connection and changing the speed of the connection. I would suggest that you start at 1200, and work your way up the connection speeds (I believe that on the 5350 the max is 115K). Be aware that with most versions of Hyperterm that you need to stop and re-start Hyperterm to get it to pick up the different speed.

Power cycle the 5350 is another possibility. Perhaps it has become hung and a power cycle would start it fresh. If you do power cycle I would check to see if there is any output on the console during the boot process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Richard Burts,

I try other PCs ,other Cables,but it still has the problem.

many times its work but always we conncet it with telconi, I dont remember the time that we connectwith console port.

after with a mistake that we copy another 5350 configuration to this router via tftp. as the IP add was not in the range, so the telnet failed and we try to connect with console port , but this issue occured.

I also try aux connection other speed , 9600 and less. rebooting cisco. but nothing dispaly in the hyperterminal.

is there any hardware problem occures in the router ?

Hi Rick,

keep working with the console cable you have and change speed settings:

2400,4800,9600,19200,38400,115200  are the most common somebody can set.

Otherwise keep trying with the other intermediate values. If you can use a simple tty emulator like Putty,

and you try to connect (making sure you chose the right COM port number (i.e. COM5) ) you can see that putty keeps the shell up if the connection is established. In most of the cases that is just a mismatch between your emulator speed and the speed configured on the ASA/router/Switch. Remember to keep off the  hardware control and No parity.

HTH

Alessio

thank you very much to your answer .

I try all these solutions, but nothing have changed.

gamalielcruz
Level 1
Level 1

Try going into rommon, maybe there is somethin you can do there to undo the changes.

Follow this to be able to enter rommon:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps501/products_password_recovery09186a0080093e1a.shtml

And then this for available commands:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/as5350/software/configuration/guide/54rommon_ps501_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1003495

Hope this helps.

reddingaq
Level 1
Level 1

Have you verified that the cable and computer your are using can connect to a different, known-working device?  When you reboot the AS5350 with the console cable attached, do you receive any output at all?  At the very least you should see the usual messages during initial startup?  Could it be that someone has disabled console access to the device in the tftp config?  Please report back on your findings.

gdeangelis
Level 1
Level 1

Have you verified the comport / cable works with another router, as someone suggested? If that has been verified as working, are any of the pins on the console port bent or have they moved or slid over or missing so that the connection can't be made?

Not sure if you are using a USB adapter, but if yes, it would not hurt to try a laptop or pc with a true serial port, just to rule that out. I've found a few devices that were a little more picky than usual.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Monorail_Matt
Level 1
Level 1

---- Posted reply in wrong thread (thread I was viewing rather than thread I meant to reply to) ---- deleted post content here as it is not relevant here and was not intended for this thread. 

My apologies for bumping an old thread

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card