Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware Upgrade C6504-E

Hi dear Community,

i've a short question.

I'll upgrade our C6504-E L3-Switches , I found few files but which are needed.

c6ksup32-rm2.srec.122-18r.SX9.bin      is installed no issues

c6msfc2a-rm2.srec.122-17r.S6             is installed, no issues

s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin      is installed, no issues

But I#ve on idea to this file   s3223-boot-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

What I've done is:

- copy this file into bootflash:

- and enter bootmaker:  boot bootldr bootflash:s3223-boot-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

So my config has now this :

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

boot bootldr bootflash:s3223-boot-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

But I think the bootldr has no effect, Is this bootldr needed with a sup32 ? And is my way the right to put it into the system ?

Kind Reagds

Matthias Martens

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The boot bootldr command sets the BOOTLDR environment variable in the current running configuration and is used on supervisors to download the IOS from the Sup to the MSFC.

The bootloader image is mandatory for MSFC1, and  must be placed in the MSFC bootflash. A bootloader image is not a  requirement for the MSFC2 (and Supervisor engine 32 has MSFC2A onboard). However, Cisco recommends that you use a boot  image as described in procedure. A boot image is a much smaller,  scaled-down version of the system image. With a boot image, you can  perform a TFTP image transfer if the main system image becomes corrupt  or lost. If you choose to use an MSFC2 boot image, you must store it in  the MSFC bootflash.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080116ff0.shtml#sup32

In Supervisor Engine 720, after the Cisco IOS  Software Release 12.2 SX there are no separate image files such as a  bootloader image and the main IOS image. The Supervisor Engine and the  MSFC both run a single bundled Cisco IOS image.

Why do you think the command did not work? Did you check the output of "show boot" afterweards for the value ot BOOTLDR variable?

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The boot bootldr command sets the BOOTLDR environment variable in the current running configuration and is used on supervisors to download the IOS from the Sup to the MSFC.

The bootloader image is mandatory for MSFC1, and  must be placed in the MSFC bootflash. A bootloader image is not a  requirement for the MSFC2 (and Supervisor engine 32 has MSFC2A onboard). However, Cisco recommends that you use a boot  image as described in procedure. A boot image is a much smaller,  scaled-down version of the system image. With a boot image, you can  perform a TFTP image transfer if the main system image becomes corrupt  or lost. If you choose to use an MSFC2 boot image, you must store it in  the MSFC bootflash.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080116ff0.shtml#sup32

In Supervisor Engine 720, after the Cisco IOS  Software Release 12.2 SX there are no separate image files such as a  bootloader image and the main IOS image. The Supervisor Engine and the  MSFC both run a single bundled Cisco IOS image.

Why do you think the command did not work? Did you check the output of "show boot" afterweards for the value ot BOOTLDR variable?

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

many thanks for your answer, I read the update note before I started my exercise and found only a descrition for bootldr for the SUP 2 and not for SUP32.

From you I know that the Boot Img must be stored in the MSFC bootflash is this accessible via command bootflash: ?

Regards Matthias

Hi,

Yes, it has to be on MSFC bootflash and it is a "bootflash" file system.

welcome!

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan, Hi all

many thanks here for User my way to update a C6504e L3 Switch

conf t

dir

! delete old Image files : delete sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.xxxxxx.bin

copy tftp sup-bootflash

x.x.x.x
s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

dir bootflash

! delete old boot image files: delete bootflash:s3223-boot-mz.xxxxxx.bin

squeeze bootflash

copy tftp bootflash

x.x.x.x

s3223-boot-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

s3223-boot-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

!

!

no boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

boot bootldr bootflash:s3223-boot-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin

!

sh run

sh rom-monitor slot 1 rp

upgrade rom-monitor slot 1 rp file tftp://x.x.x.x/c6msfc2a-rm2.srec.122-17r.S6

!

sh rom-monitor slot 1 rp

!

!

sh rom-monitor slot 1 sp

!

!

upgrade rom-monitor slot 1 sp file tftp://x.x.x.x/c6ksup32-rm2.srec.122-18r.SX9.bin

!

!

sh rom-monitor slot 1 sp

!

wr

reload

Regards Matthias

This seems to eb a correct sequence for ROMMON  + IOS upgrade.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: