cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG 200 issues

newonenewone88
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased this switch (50 ports) and hooked it up to our network.

We took out all connection from our excisting gigabit switch and connected them to the cisco.

About half of these came up fine and the others were showing down. We took the ones that were down and put them back into the other switch and everyhting was fine. Took them again into the cisco switch and no light and still shwoing they are down.

Also, few users complained that when they came back from lunch, their connection was down. We swtched them from the cisco to the old switch and they were up and running fine.

What might causing the cisco to act like this?

Any ideas?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Andy,

Is the SG200 new out of the box or did you get it from someone used? Just wondering if there may be some prior config on there.... Try a factory reset from the web gui, or even a paperclip to the reset button. 

Do you know the switch's IP address and can you access the web gui?  (if you don't, you can use Cisco's FindIT tool to help you get the IP address) How does the configuration look? Look under Port Management -> Port settings and see what the port status is, and take note of the protection state. Take a look in the log (status and statistics -> view log) and see if there are any link down or logs that may suggest why some ports aren't active. Alternatively, copy and paste the logs here so we can take a look. Are the devices set to auto config on both sides (no conflicts in speed/duplex, etc)?

If it is new/within 1 year of purchase, or you have a service contract, remember that you have small biz support center to aid you - both by phone and chat, should you choose to go that route.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks David. This is a new purchase and I can access the GUI. Using the default settings and no other configuration is done so far. I just tested again with anohter user. I pliged the cable from the old switch to the cisco and no light for like 3 minutes. After that, the light came on fine and the user got a connection. Thi is what I got from the logs

Warning   %STP-W-PORTSTATUS: gi13: STP status Forwarding       

Informational   %LINK-I-Up:  gi13, aggregated (1)       

Warning   %LINK-W-Down:  gi13, aggregated (1)       

Informational   %LINK-I-Up:  gi13       

Warning   %LINK-W-Down:  gi13       

Informational   %LINK-I-Up:  gi13 Warning   %STP-W-PORTSTATUS: gi13: STP status Forwarding       
Informational   %LINK-I-Up:  gi13, aggregated (1)       
Warning   %LINK-W-Down:  gi13, aggregated (1)       
Warning   %LINK-W-Down:  gi13       

Andy,

I don't see any issues in the logs you posted, and if a connection was established it looks like its working. Has the link gone down? If you unplug and plug the host back in does it still take 3 minutes to go up? Again, check the settings on the hosts - are they set to auto negotiation, mdi/mdix auto, and check flow control.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

I have reached out to tech support to see if they can help. I was told to turn off STP and green ethernet but that did not resolve the issue. One user lost connection in the middle of the day while she was working and after few minutes the connection came back. This never happened before at all.

I was told to update the firmware and reboot into factory settings and give it a try.

Will see how it goes. Now, all users are back on the old switch because I can't take any more chances.

Any improvement after the reset? We're having the same issue with our three SG200's.  I've also tried turning of STP and green ethernet, as well as flushing the MAC table and removing some extra connections thinking it might be causing a loop.

Hi, what I ended up doing is to upgrade the firmware adn that solved it. The issue now the web interface takes forever to load and to show any information

Good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X