Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial to USB adapter for routers

dianehoag
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some 2620 routers and 2950 switches that have Console Ports that are serial.  However my HP PC w.Win 7 dosent have any serial ports. I am looking for a USB to Serial converter that will allow me to access the console ports so I can configure these devices. I've read many old posts and still havent found a solution.  Is it true that none of these cables work?  Has anyone found a solution?? Anything that will work on XP? (also have XP PC's).

How about a RJ45 to Serial?? How about a PCI Serial card? Has anyone tried these other options?  I cant believe Cisco hasnt developed a conversion cable to use with their Console Cables????

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Diane

4 Replies 4

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Diane,

Me myself used a USB to Serial adapter for console and it worked great, although it a had a minor problem with my Mac, but good with PC!

on Mac, the ctrl - break sequence didnt work, that it...!  dont buy a cheap one thou

HTH

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Soroush,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me which brand you used?  I have also read many posts saying that even tho some cables will work to get connected to the console - the ctrl - break sequence wont work. Also were you using XP or WIN 7?

Thanks again,

Diane

I was using a Belkin USB - Serial adapter, and the CTRL-Break sequence, i gotta tell u it is different from machin to machin, i guess its not dependent on the OS. i used it with Both win XP and 7.

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

hi diane i have 1 of these adapters that u are asking about think mines a generic make called  HL-340(ebay) on win 7 32,i have no problems with mine but not sure about the control break sequence will try it out later and let u know,but i have had no probs doing control shift 6x to switch between ports on my access server or any other control commands.

hopoe ths helps

chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card