Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial to USB adapter for routers

dianehoag
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some 2620 routers and 2950 switches that have Console Ports that are serial.  However my HP PC w.Win 7 dosent have any serial ports. I am looking for a USB to Serial converter that will allow me to access the console ports so I can configure these devices. I've read many old posts and still havent found a solution.  Is it true that none of these cables work?  Has anyone found a solution?? Anything that will work on XP? (also have XP PC's).

How about a RJ45 to Serial?? How about a PCI Serial card? Has anyone tried these other options?  I cant believe Cisco hasnt developed a conversion cable to use with their Console Cables????

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Diane

4 Replies 4

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Diane,

Me myself used a USB to Serial adapter for console and it worked great, although it a had a minor problem with my Mac, but good with PC!

on Mac, the ctrl - break sequence didnt work, that it...!  dont buy a cheap one thou

HTH

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Soroush,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me which brand you used?  I have also read many posts saying that even tho some cables will work to get connected to the console - the ctrl - break sequence wont work. Also were you using XP or WIN 7?

Thanks again,

Diane

I was using a Belkin USB - Serial adapter, and the CTRL-Break sequence, i gotta tell u it is different from machin to machin, i guess its not dependent on the OS. i used it with Both win XP and 7.

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

hi diane i have 1 of these adapters that u are asking about think mines a generic make called  HL-340(ebay) on win 7 32,i have no problems with mine but not sure about the control break sequence will try it out later and let u know,but i have had no probs doing control shift 6x to switch between ports on my access server or any other control commands.

hopoe ths helps

chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card