LSI 1064E with mixed SAS and SATA disk on C200

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2012

Hello,

we have LSI 1064E RAID controller with one SAS disk and everything is working fine with this configuration.

Now I want to add a SATA disk and VMWare is not recognizing it. I found out on the link below that with this controller a mix of SAS and SATA is not supported.

"You cannot mix SAS and SATA drives when using a 1064E-based controller."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C200M1/install/RAID.html

OK, this is clear for me. But is there an another way to use a mix of SAS and SATA disks? I tried to disconnect the cable that is going from the RAID controller to the HDD bay of the SATA disk but it is still the same.

I have this in BIOS under mass storage

I hope that someone has an idea how to use the SATA disk too on the same server.

p.s. I am a server noob, sorry.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
padramas Fri, 06/29/2012 - 04:34

Hello,

When you remove the cable from LSI 1064E RAID controller, are you connecting it with onboard RAID controller ICH10R ?

If yes, ESX/ESXi does not support ICH10R.

Padma

smailmilak Fri, 06/29/2012 - 05:49

O stupid me, I thought that it is already somehow connected via the mainboard and only for RAID are special cables needed.

I checked on our second UCS where we have SATA disks only and there is a cable.

Great, now I need only a cable. Do you now the product number or is any SATA cable good?

smailmilak Fri, 06/29/2012 - 06:04

The second server does not have any RAID config and I do not need/want it. There are just two disks which are independent from each other.

On the new server I have a SAS disk which need a RAID controller in order to work, and this is ok. The SAS disk is working without any RAID configuration, just plug & play. I only want to add a SATA disk as second datastore on VMWare.

I see that I only need a SATA cable on the new server, but I do not know the product number or if a normal SATA cable is good enough.

padramas Fri, 06/29/2012 - 06:15

Hello,

If you boot the OS on the second server and it detects the two hard disks, then you do not need additional cable for inserting the new SATA hard disk into it.

The OS is able to detect the hard disks as cabling already exists between RAID controller ( onboard / card ) and HDD backplane.

If this is new server which is yet to be assembled OR if the OS does not detect any hard drives, then you might want to open up the lid and verify the cabling between HDD backplane and storage controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C200M1/install/RAID.html#wp1015625

The above link has the cable part numbers based on the storage controller installed on the second server.

HTH

Padma

smailmilak Fri, 06/29/2012 - 06:22

Yes that is what I am saying, the second server which came with a RAID controller has all bays connected to the RAID controller. Now I want to connect the bay where my SATA disk is inserted to the integrated SATA controller.

I hope that you understand what I am saying.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted June 29, 2012 at 3:06 AM
Stats:
Replies:6 Avg. Rating:
Views:2042 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: disk, c200, sas, mixed, sata, lsi, 1064e
+
Categories: General UCS Hardware
+