Helpful
Replies

IP Phone not registering to the Call Manager

Kaushik Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have an IP Phone model 7942 which I am trying to register to a Call Manager but it is saying registration rejected.

There are other IP Phones all of 7942 which are registering to the Call Manager no problem and are working fine.

All these IP Phones are in the same subnet connected to the same switch and have same configuration on the switch ports.

When I am doing a sh arp i am seeing that there is an IP address associated with the MAC address of this IP phone which is not working but when i am trying to ping this IP address I cannot.

I tried to plug this IP Phone into a same port using the same cable by replacing an IP Phone which was already registered to check whether this could be a cable / port issue without any luck and see the same issue.

The status on the Call Manager is saying Unknown and the IP address is showing Unknown as well on the Call Manager.

Can anybody please advice on where the issue could lie.

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards

Kaushik

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Have you added this phone in CUCM. Or do you have auto reg on in CUCM.

Yes the method you have written is the correct method for factory reset.

Regards

Ronak patel

Rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

If it says registration rejected, then you should see registration rejected on cucm. This is usually a configuration problem. Check that you have the correct mac address on cucm and check that the tftp server on the phone is the right one

Please rate all useful posts

"There is a wideness in God's mercy Like the wideness of the sea.There's a kindness in His justice Which is more than liberty"

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Kaushik,

Try to do factory rest of the phone and see if it regester. 

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answer.

Thanks Ronak

Will the following be the best way to carry out the factory reset?

Procedure

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off,

press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until each line button flashes on and off in sequence in amber.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

You can press a key twice in a row, but if you press the keys out of sequence, the factory reset will not take place.

After you press these keys, the line buttons on the phone flash red and the phone goes through the factory reset process.

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process and the main screen appears.

Thanks

Kaushik

Before you do a factory reset. What does the status messages on the phone show ?

"There is a wideness in God's mercy Like the wideness of the sea.There's a kindness in His justice Which is more than liberty"

It comes us saying "registration rejected"

Hi

Have you added this phone in CUCM. Or do you have auto reg on in CUCM.

Yes the method you have written is the correct method for factory reset.

Regards

Ronak patel

Rate helpful posts.

If it says registration rejected, then you should see registration rejected on cucm. This is usually a configuration problem. Check that you have the correct mac address on cucm and check that the tftp server on the phone is the right one

How do i check the TFTP server on the phone?

HI

Follow below link for the details on how to configure and check the tftp configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7962g_7942g/7_0/english/administration/guide/7962net.html#wpxref87982

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

The exact error message on the phone is

Phone displays “Registration rejected: Error DBconfig”

I checked that the error relates to Auto Registration but the Auto Registration Disabled option is ticked on the CUCM

Hi,

Since the Auto Reg is disable. Have you added this phone manually in CUCM.  If not , please add this phone manually using following procedure example is for 7961 but remains same for other ip phones.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080b48df1.shtml

After that you may restart tftp services on CUCM.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

HI

It was manually added before

how do i restart the tftp services on CUCM?

Regards

Hi,

Have you checked your db replication state?

Have you checked that the phone type and protocol are correct on cucm?

Have you tried registering with the default phone button template selected? (yes I've seen this fail, bug)

Have you double checked the Mac address?

Have you verified 2 phone configs (working/non-working) side by side to see what's different?

Have you restarted all tftp services?

regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

The DB Replication state is shwowing 0

The phone type is checked is 7942 and protocol is SCCP as with other phones that are working

Yes the MAC addresses i have checked and also compared the configs. i also deleted the non - working phone did a super copy of the one which is working and changed the extension.

I have checked that the Auto Registration Disabled box is ticked as well and there are no duplicate DNs

Will a factory reset of the phone help?

Thanks once again.

Regards

Hi

Can you send us screen shot of the Phone configuration. And MAC address of the Ip phone.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: