Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to admin disable 802.11a radio from a few light weight access points

swati-singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

I need help to admin disable the 802.11a radio interface from a few lightweight APs. The operational status of these radio interfaces is down, so I am getting the following error when I try to disable them from the wireless LAN controller.

(Cisco Controller) config>802.11a disable wds2.hyd.shaw.net

This slot is not operational because Regulatory Domain Check has failed! Unable to disable the Cisco AP.

Could you please let me know how I can administratively disable the 802.11a radios on these APs? Please let me know if you need more details here.

Regards,

Swati

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What AP models and what is the code version?

So you see the operational status as down? Is this by default?

It seems The country code configured on the AP doesn't support radio 802.11a.

What is the part number of the AP? What is the country code configured?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Swati,

It seems that the AP model is one a different country code than the one set on the controller. Seems the 'a' radio is already disabled/down due to regulatory domain mismatch

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Marco Gonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

The two previous posts are correct: the regulatory domain is probably not allowing radio a to be enabled.

To be sure about this you can go to GUI of the wireless LAN controller > Wireless > Country. Here your country (or region) should be selected. Then depending on the access points that you have they may or may not join or turn on the radio. Per example if you have an access point from Europe (like AIR-AP1131AG-E-K9) then you will have a conflict if only the “America” regulatory domain (-A) is selected.

Here is a link with a list of products and their regulatory domain that might help:

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/648C8

What you can do here is to simply allow the regulatory domain that the access point needs and you should not have any problems.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you change the regulatory domain and use an access point that transmit at certain channels and frequencies that are not allowed (illegal) in your country (region) you may have legal implications.

I hope this information helps you with your concern.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kindly post the output to the following commands:

1.  WAP:  sh inventory

2.  WLC:  sh sysinfo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card