Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed test tool to test switch upgrade?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I've added a few gigabitethernet SFP modules to switches to upgrade the trunk ports from 100mb to 1gb and wondered if there is any stress testing tools where I can get the ports to use over 100mb and also monitor that it did use more that 100mb?

At the moment I am copying large files across the switches between VLANs and it seems no quicker and I need to grab some stats.

Thanks in advance for your help.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
At the moment I am copying large files across the switches between VLANs and it seems no quicker

This is going to be a very hot topic.

How sure are you that your source client and/or your destination client can handle 1 Gbps of traffic?

For testing the speed Iperf is a quite common tool. If you want to monitor your bandwidth-usage over longer time you should poll the interface stats with SNMP. Free tools for that are MRTG, Zenoss, Cacti, Nagios, ...

iperf is great. What also is cool is if you deploy a speedtest server in your enviroment. I find it very handy.

http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php

Is iperf linux or windows based, I will look into that?

Is Speedtest Mini basically a way of testing bandwidth internally instead of testing your internet speed?  If so that is brilliant!

Thanks

Got speedtest mini working, my PC has a 1 gig nic and is on 3750G trunked to another 3750G where the speedtest mini server is and I only get 250mb download and upload, is this normal?

You have to remember that with this speedtest you will also have the NIC of the PC and server in the equasion. With our speedtest server i have hit the 1 gig 1 gig speeds. The 250 meg could also be some network limitation? or link utilization etc etc. iperf is a command line tool only. Unless you download jperf. It is a java version. You can try that from server to PC too.

Hello,

What do you make if the different results:

I ran speedtest mini and each way is nearly 100mb (100mb network) but iperf returns completely different results:

C:\>iperf.exe -c 192.168.90.11

------------------------------------------------------------

Client connecting to 192.168.90.11, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)

------------------------------------------------------------

[1884] local 192.168.38.10 port 2998 connected with 192.168.90.11 port 5001

[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth

[1884]  0.0-10.0 sec  20.0 MBytes  16.8 Mbits/sec

C:\>

I have run the tests many times and both return the same kind of results.

erpylko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have customers that use some of the I2 tools for their network.

http://www.internet2.edu/performance/

-Eric

So many on there are they free?

I don't know, I haven't used them. What do their terms of use say? I would expect they are free since they come from I2.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card