cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iSCSI and NX-OS

bwindle66
Level 1
Level 1

Thrown into a project starting Monday with 2 5548 switches and the customer wants to do SMB, iSCSI, and NFS. It is coming with a layer 3 card so I get the NFS and SMB. But isn't there a feature to be enabled with NX-OS or lun database to set up? Haven't turned up much in the configuration guide and I'm beginning to this it's just going to be ethernet connectivity throughout, so just a sanity check if anyone has done iscsi on a nx-os is what I am looking for.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

I do not think any special needs to be done on a network switch which just switches iscsi frames from one port to another.

You can do some QoS and set MTU and queue-limit etc. it this switch is also shared with data traffic. Following is one type of example where servers has to mark the iscsi frames with CoS 2 and you can set the value of MTU.

class-map type qos iSCSI-qos-class

match cos 2

policy-map type qos iSCSI-qos-policy

class iSCSI-qos-class

set qos-group 2

class-map type queuing iSCSI-queuing-class

match qos-group 2

class-map type network-qos iSCSI-network-class

match qos-group 2

policy-map type network-qos iSCSI-network-policy

class type network-qos iSCSI-network-class

mtu 9216

system qos

service-policy type qos input iSCSI-qos-policy

service-policy type network-qos iSCSI-network-policy

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

I do not think any special needs to be done on a network switch which just switches iscsi frames from one port to another.

You can do some QoS and set MTU and queue-limit etc. it this switch is also shared with data traffic. Following is one type of example where servers has to mark the iscsi frames with CoS 2 and you can set the value of MTU.

class-map type qos iSCSI-qos-class

match cos 2

policy-map type qos iSCSI-qos-policy

class iSCSI-qos-class

set qos-group 2

class-map type queuing iSCSI-queuing-class

match qos-group 2

class-map type network-qos iSCSI-network-class

match qos-group 2

policy-map type network-qos iSCSI-network-policy

class type network-qos iSCSI-network-class

mtu 9216

system qos

service-policy type qos input iSCSI-qos-policy

service-policy type network-qos iSCSI-network-policy

Also to set up MTU on the SVI vlan interface.

Interface vlan 10

mtu 9216

Thanks!

Vincent La Bua
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Don't route the iscsi and do testing with and without aggregated links to hosts and storage. They can sometimes affect the session handling and cause performance issues.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: