cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8961 Factory Reset

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

Is there a way to do a factory reset on a 8961 that has any unknown administrator password?

11 Replies 11

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here's the reset process, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/9971_9951_8961/7_1_3/english/admin/guide/9971trb.html#wp1065790.  If you're being asked for a password to get into settings you'll likely have to remove or reset that password from Call Manager under Device > Device Settings > Common Phone Profile > Local Phone Unlock Password.

The issue is the phone is from another cluster and at this point i cannot get the phone to register as it has a hard coded tftp server.

So is there no way to do a factory reset without having the phone connected to CUCM?

Hi

The old-fashioned routine (hold # while the phone is booting, then type 12345678*0#) still works on these phones.

From what I recall, it appears to not work as it doesn't go through the TFTP firmware process like the 79xx models do... but it does clear settings such as ITL and presumably the admin password as well.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

i cannot seem to make that work?  When should i let go of the #?

There is Factory reset under one of the menus on the phone. If you go to settings and poke around you should find it. I dont have one close by or i would get the exact menus.

Sorry But I have had to do it a few times and I always just use the settings on the phone..

Hope it makes sense

If yo can get in under administrator settings , there is a reset device.. default password is cisco but if you had it on  a cme look under the sip part and the password should be there if you set it.

That is the problem I cannot get into the settings as the password is not cisco.  I did manage to get it to do what looked like a factory reset once, but it apparently did not reset the password.

Hello smolz,

Did you manage to reset the phone finally?

I have the exact same problem, a 9951 phone, from another cluster, with admin settings acces disabled. The 79XX procedure (hold #...) does not work for this model.

I cannot use it anymore and I cannot find any special factory reset procedure.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

It worked for me - like I say above, it's not obvious that it's happened as it it on the 79xx.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

derek.fraser
Level 1
Level 1

I just had this same issue with an 8961 with stuck CTL's, administrator password was changed and hardcoded TFTP settings.

The solution in the thread below worked for me:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2163196

1. Disconnect the handset from power/network so it's off.

2. Hold down the "#" key and reconnect the power/network.

3. Keep holding down the hash key until the first pair of LED's lights up then release it immediately

4. Key in 123456789*0# and leave the handset to continue booting.  No obvious feedback is given at this point that the device will be defaulted.

Fedor Solovev
Level 1
Level 1

this has helped:

Hard Reset with Network Setting Preservation

The code for the network preservation hard reset is: *7412369#085

but NOT staudard reset combination.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10801871/cisco-ip-phone-7941#comment-5101476

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: