cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the RV042 Access the Internet

rgoeken11
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to implementing VPN service.  What I would like to do is  install a RV042 or RV082 (for added speed) and configure it to allow me  to access the Internet (from home base) through the VPN from any  location  while on the road and using my laptop.  My questions are: Can this be  done?  If so, what needs to be done in the configuration to allow gateway  access to the Internet? I can't find any reference in the Cicso  documents, but somewhere I saw that it can be done.  I don't care about  accessing anything on the local LAN.  As I would be using the same  Internet connection for the VPN and the access to get out----how would  this affect speed?  I plan to use Quick VPN as the client, and haven't  even touched the client issue.  Any pointers would be greatly  appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard,

The RV0XX routers support a client to gateway solution via PPTP or IPsec. Either connection will give local access to the network you're connecting to.

However, if your goal is to connect to a remote router then use the internet as if you were local to the router. This is not going to work.

Example:

Robert - 75.75.75.75   ---------------VPN TUNNEL-------------RV0XX 76.76.76.76------> INTERNET

If you connect to the RV0XX router using a PPTP or QVPN connection, your internet connection will continue to use your IP of 75.75.75.75. You will not be able to have your external IP showing as 76.76.76.76.  However, the local access to the RV0XX to the router is permitted.

If you are looking to have VPN access to a router and have your internet IP show as if you're using the remote router locally, you need a full tunnel VPN solution.  The RV220W router will support this with 5 SSL vpn seats (for free).

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Richard, this cannot be done with the RV042 or RV082 router. The QVPN client will only support the split tunnel. The gateway to gateway tunnel supports ESP wildcard forwarding (per documentation).

If you would like a full tunnel support using a client to gateway connection, you may look in to the RV220W router. The SSL VPN supports a full tunnel and has 5 SSL VPN seats for free.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the reply.  As I am retired from the excitement of networking, I am just trying  to implement a secure link using VPN from my laptop as I travel.  I have  tried the VPN services but they are spotty and leave me disappointed.  I  was planning getting a used wired router that has VPN services.   While the RV220W apparently can do the job, it is pricey for my use and  it is wireless.  I already have a wireless router that is new and I  don't really want to go for broke if I don't have to.  I was just going  to swap routers when I go on trips, simple and effective.  Any suggestions?

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Richard,

I am really not sure where my colleague has gone with his reply regarding the RV042G.

As you can see from the following reference, page 123 onwards, RV042 and RV042G have the option of both allowing a quickVPN client and the PPTP with the  client in your laptop to connect back into your private network.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv0xx/administration/guide/rv0xx_AG_78-19576.pdf

The RV042G will do what you want.

There is also the option of the newly introduced RV180W, which has the advantages of built in wireless.

The RV180W supports;

IPsec VPN

10 gateway-to-gateway IPSec tunnels

QuickVPN

10 Quick VPN tunnels using Cisco QuickVPN client

PPTP VPN

10 PPTP tunnels for remote client access

regards Dave

Thanks.  I have done a lot of reading, but nowhere did I see any  statement that gateway access from the tunnel was permitted.  I know in  some machine VPN implementation, there is a check-box for this feature.   But I have been unable to find anything for the 042 or the 082 that  this is allowed.  As for Quick VPN, that I did find that "allowed" for  the 042 and the 082, and already have the client.  I am now looking for  "official" verification of the gateway access.

With that said, I have read the section in the manual concerning the use  of client software.  I tend to skim-read, but nowhere in that manual  does it mention client-to-gateway connectivity.  All examples are client  to local LAN.  With Cisco you don't assume.  And that's my problem.

Richard,

The RV0XX routers support a client to gateway solution via PPTP or IPsec. Either connection will give local access to the network you're connecting to.

However, if your goal is to connect to a remote router then use the internet as if you were local to the router. This is not going to work.

Example:

Robert - 75.75.75.75   ---------------VPN TUNNEL-------------RV0XX 76.76.76.76------> INTERNET

If you connect to the RV0XX router using a PPTP or QVPN connection, your internet connection will continue to use your IP of 75.75.75.75. You will not be able to have your external IP showing as 76.76.76.76.  However, the local access to the RV0XX to the router is permitted.

If you are looking to have VPN access to a router and have your internet IP show as if you're using the remote router locally, you need a full tunnel VPN solution.  The RV220W router will support this with 5 SSL vpn seats (for free).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: