how to obtain config file

Answered Question
Jul 12th, 2012
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi,

I've been tasked with accessing the configuraiton of a Cisco phone system, but I have not worked on any Cisco phone gear previously.

I have plenty of Cisco router and switch and firewall experience, but no phone system experience.

Problem is I don't know which equipment it is until I get onsite. I'm told the system is 4 years old and takes 2U rack space and looks like a ethernet switch. By looking online, I'm guessing by this description it might be similar to a Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series UC560-T1E1-K9

I assume it has a console port and acts just like any other console connection, right?

How I would get the configuration file ? What is the file name? Where is it located?

Thanks.

hi

If it is a UC500, then it's simply an ISR router running what used to be called IOS Telephony Services (ITS) now called Communications Manager Express CME.

"Show running" from IOS will give you all of the phone system stuff.

In terms of Unity Express (voicemail) you can dump off some of this via the CUE CLI, however it won't give you everything.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

Correct Answer by paolo bevilacqua about 5 years 1 month ago

It is not said that is an UC500, but if it is, it basically same as an ISR router running CME and CUE. All documentation is freely accessible online.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
paolo bevilacqua Thu, 07/12/2012 - 09:23
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

It is not said that is an UC500, but if it is, it basically same as an ISR router running CME and CUE. All documentation is freely accessible online.

Correct Answer

hi

If it is a UC500, then it's simply an ISR router running what used to be called IOS Telephony Services (ITS) now called Communications Manager Express CME.

"Show running" from IOS will give you all of the phone system stuff.

In terms of Unity Express (voicemail) you can dump off some of this via the CUE CLI, however it won't give you everything.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

lcaruso Sat, 07/14/2012 - 10:45
User Badges:

It was a UC520, but I wasn't able to get logged in.

There was a UC520 and two Catalsyt Express 520 switches linked together.

I tried both Telnet and SSH and got prompted by Cisco Configuration Manager. It didn't matter which device I tried connecting to as I always got prompted by CCM instead of the device itself.

I've never used CCM on any device I have ever configured, and I have never attempted to login to any device running it.

I've always just connected to the native device Telnet/SSH daemons.

Would CCM accept the same passwords as configured on the device? What is CCM running on?

Thanks.

paolo bevilacqua Sun, 07/15/2012 - 04:29
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Someone may have changed the login banner. However you are still connecting to the UC500 IOS and it works just like any other router.

lcaruso Thu, 07/12/2012 - 12:33
User Badges:

Thanks to both of you for your reply.

paolo bevilacqua Thu, 07/12/2012 - 12:56
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content