Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Access Network Settings with Cisco 7912 IP Phone

hugh23232323
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I bought a Cisco 7912 phone second hand.  I am trying to configure it, but I am unable to enter the "Network Configuration" item from the settings menu.  That is, when I highlight it and press the "Select" softkey on it, absolutely nothing happens.  I can enter all the other menu items, so I figured it has been locked out somehow.

**# (as mentioned in the manual) does nothing.  I gather the **# is for unlocking items within the Network Configuration menu, but I can't even enter it.

I have tried factory reset softkey from the menu, and this does respond at all.  I can't connect to the phone through the web interface, as I can't configure the phone to connect to my network.

I have no idea what to do.  Please note I have no experience with IP phones, I just bought it to use my home VOIP service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

Lloyd

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Lloyd,

You may try to factory reset the phone by pressing the menu button and then press **2. It will ask you if you want to perform factory reset and you should confirm.

HTH,

Alex

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The phone may have been locked from a previous system, and restoring it could involve complicated stuff generating configuration file, loading SIP firmware, etc

To avoid frustration and headache, It would be much better if you get another phone model, like a Linksys or whatever your VOIP recommends.

Hello Lloyd,

You may try to factory reset the phone by pressing the menu button and then press **2. It will ask you if you want to perform factory reset and you should confirm.

HTH,

Alex

Thanks Alex, this worked!

Unfortuntely, I then encourtered one problem after another, until I was setting up servers and typing strange commands. Then I relised this wasn't a phone for home users, and decided it wasn't worth the time investment to become a Cisco VOIP expert.

So in the end, Paolo was right as well.

Regards,

Lloyd

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: