When quoting a WS-X6724-SFP line card for a Catalyst 6500:
1. If no Distributed Forwarding Card 3 (DFC3) is selected, can it be purchased at a later time as a spare part or the client needs to buy the line card with the DFC3 included from start?
2. Does each line card require a DFC3 in order to be able to perform localized forwarding decisions?
3. Does the DFC3 card is embedded in the line card physically?
4. Documentation such as Q&A if available will help me a lot.
Thanks in advanced guys!
The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.
In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.
Just to add a bit to what Giuseppe posted, you can often mix and match DFCs and Sups, but this may result in suboptimal performance although in some cases it makes sense to obtain "better/newer" version for future proofing. (E.g. DFC3B and DFC3C both cost the same, and the latter is backward compatible with the former.)
Some mix and matched configurations require a full chassis reload, not just a card OIR, to configure the DFC properly.
Usually the DFC is optional, but on at least one card, it's standard, i.e. the 6708 10 gig.
1) 6700 series with optional DFC supports distributed forwarding
the DFC3 version should match the PFC version in the supervisor
example for a sup720 3BXL with a 3BXL PFC the DFC type should be DFC3 3BXL too.
2) a mix of distributed and centralized forwarding linecards is supported in the same chassis.
see C6500 architecture whitepaper
3) DFC3 X is a daughter card that can be mounted on the top of the linecard when the linecard is removed from the chassis
see fig.4 in the first document
4) Q&A about PFC , DFC an CFC
Hope to help