cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Guest Access Randomly and Print

MarcoM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, in my company have asked me a solution where automatically creates the guest account with username and password randomly. Is this solution possible to implement? With only the WLC?    p.s. you also know which models \ brands of printers allow you to press a button and print a receipt(with user\password) that can be integrated with the WLC??  Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Marco,

unfortunately you can not do this with WLC only.

If you have WCS you can generate random passwords but not the username. You need to specify the username manually.

Building the system you want is possible. I think there would be some vendors that have this solution but I am not aware about any.

It is simple to build such system based on SNMP and specify the parameters that you want. Just the same what WCS actually does. Send same request that WCS send to WLCs when generatin new guest users and that is it. You only need to randomly generate the username and password rather than spcfiying the username manually. This can also be integrated with a printer.

I am sorry but I am not aware about any vendor. But it is possible and easy to be done this is why I think it is already available in the market.

Hope someone will provide you with some more useful answer.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amhad, thanks for reply. WCS is only a software with license right?  I also do some modification on WLC? (I already have the guest network)  Thanks. M.

Hi Marco,

WCS is software of license. right. But it is now being replaced by NCS; its elder brother, which is an appliance. I think WCS now is out of sale and NCS is what is available (not sure).

No modifications need to be done on WLC. you only add the WLC to the WCS (or NCS). This needs correct SNMP information to be configured on both sides.

If you have some programming experience you may implement the random username/password implementation yourself. Just capture the traffic when WCS send an SNMP packet to the WLCs to create the guest account. Whenever you want to create a user you specify same packet but change the usrename and the password and send the same packet to the WLC. Of course you need the sender IP address to the SNMP community list in the WLC.

For the printer part it is a bit harder. your program should be integrated with the printer and prapare the layout that will be printed.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad, thanks again, but if i found a printer i always need the WCS? I found this solution: http://www.zebra.com/us/en/products-services/printers/printer-type/desktop/g-series-gx.html I do not know if it's okay.  thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card