Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Log files

Unanswered Question
Jul 23rd, 2012
User Badges:

Does any one have any idea which traces should be collected for issues call failure issue or any other logs i mean for all the logs which can help isolate issue's

Like few days ago i was facing issue upgrading the CUCM server so i took install logs to isolate the issue.

So my question is how many kinds of logs we have and which one to use for resolving the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Chris Deren Mon, 07/23/2012 - 07:24
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Contact Center, Unified Communications

Collect the "CallManager" service traces.

Chris

joshua.gertig Mon, 07/23/2012 - 10:43
User Badges:

How do you view the text files though? I've always wondered that, I just send them to TAC but I'd like to be able to look at them. When I open a CM trace file in notepad, notepad++ or word pad, it's just a bunch of character.

I think I can view within RTMT (browse) why can't I seem to open the text files?

Chris Deren Mon, 07/23/2012 - 10:47
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Contact Center, Unified Communications

They should be readable from the text editor just fine. Not sure why it is showing this for you :-(

Chris

Ayodeji Okanlawon Mon, 07/23/2012 - 15:09
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Joshua,

Most times the files are zipped with a .txt extension. You need to use a zip file extractor such as winzip or 7zip to extract them before you can use notepad++. If you try to open it direclty it will show as scrambled as it is now

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

joshua.gertig Tue, 07/24/2012 - 06:10
User Badges:

Thanks aokanlawon, I was using WinZip (paid version) when I was getting the results above. I forgot about 7zip, but downloaded it and now I can view the file!

Not sure why WinZip wasn't working, it seems to work for decompressing other zipped files. Probably some sort of PC issue. Thanks!

Ayodeji Okanlawon Tue, 07/24/2012 - 06:11
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Glad to help, dont forget to rate useful posts

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actions

This Discussion