AP won't join (LAP1242 and WLC 5500 series)

Answered Question
Jul 24th, 2012

Hi I have a problem

The access point is reply when I ping it from WLC. But until know it can't join, even discovery packet isn't arrive in WLC. How this could be? Please help. Need advice.

WLC software version = 6.0.199.4

Management interface address = 192.168.120.10 /24

Model = 5508

Access point software = 1240 Software (C1240-RCVK9W8-M), Version 12.4(21a)JA2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

AP Model = cisco AIR-LAP1242G-E-K9

Interface address = 192.168.121.151

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by roger.alderman about 1 year 8 months ago

Make sure you haven't disabled the option to accept MIC certificates from the AP. See security page on the controller and AP policies. Make sure that MIC is ticked.

Correct Answer by kmiller1634 about 1 year 8 months ago

Quick question, are there other AP's on this controller already??  If not double check the date and time on the controller to make sure they are right. if no ap's are on this controller also check the AP Policy under security and make sure it will accept Manufacturer Installed Certificates.

you can try to telnet to the AP using it's DHCP address and the default UN: cisco  & PW: Cisco

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 1 year 8 months ago

Like Leo mentioned, console into the AP and attach the output of the whole boot up and join process. Like 5 minutes... This will help us understand why the ap is not joining.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Average Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 07/24/2012 - 03:42

Well the AP and the wlc is in a different subnet, so you will need to do option 43, DNS, or place the AP in the same subnet as the wlc. Once the AP has joined, it can be placed back in the other subnet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00808f8599.shtml

Robot_Otobot Wed, 07/25/2012 - 02:10

DHCP option 43 confirmed--> I already create DHPC option 43 but still won't join.

Still the access point is success when I give a ping to it from the WLC.

I can't ask the DNS on my client, it's too complicated to ask and I don't now how to configure DNS

Leo Laohoo Tue, 07/24/2012 - 03:55

Console into the WAP and reboot the WAP.

Post the entire bootup process including the joining process.

marcgon2 Tue, 07/24/2012 - 10:56

If you want to add this only access point to the wireless LAN controller one very eay way to do this is by configuring an static IP to the access point and configuring the IP address of the wireless LAN controller directly on the access point via console by entering the following commands:

AP1240# lwapp ap ip address 192.168.121.151 255.255.255.0

AP1240# lwapp ap ip default-gateway 192.168.121.1  << I guess>>

AP1240# lwapp ap controller ip address 192.168.120.10

Robot_Otobot Wed, 07/25/2012 - 02:12

Yes, it is indeed what is I do with the LAP. I configure it static: their ip address, their controller address. But still won't join.

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Wed, 07/25/2012 - 04:33

Like Leo mentioned, console into the AP and attach the output of the whole boot up and join process. Like 5 minutes... This will help us understand why the ap is not joining.

Robot_Otobot Wed, 07/25/2012 - 07:45

the LAP already mounted 8 metres above us, its hard to climb, we don't have ladder.

Can you share me how to remote log this AP. PS: the AP not yet join. I'm curious too.. Very2x

Thank you Scott

Scott Fella Wed, 07/25/2012 - 07:50

No real way of remote logging. This is what I would do:

Put the access point on the same vlan the wlc management interface is on

Make sure there is dhcp configured on that vlan

On the switch that the ap is connected to, hopefully it's a Cisco switch, issue a show cdp neighbor

Post what that shows

Attach the following in a txt format

show run-config on the wlc

Post the switch port config the ap and the wlc is connected to

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Leo Laohoo Wed, 07/25/2012 - 15:48

While you figure out how to get the "sh version" and "sh inventory" of the WAP, if you have Cisco switch, can you please post the complete output to the command "sh cdp n det" and "sh power inline"?

kmiller1634 Tue, 07/24/2012 - 12:08

This may seem stupid but could also be overlooked.. I noticed the AP is an -E Regulatory domain, make sure the controller has the -E regulatory domain configured on it, otherwise it can prevent the ap from joining.

Robot_Otobot Wed, 07/25/2012 - 02:04

@Kayle Miller : No it's good. Not stupid. I already check. WLC and the AP is in same E regulatory domain.

The problem is, WLC never ever receive discovery message from that AP. Can you tell me what would possibility reason of this?

Correct Answer
kmiller1634 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 07:48

Quick question, are there other AP's on this controller already??  If not double check the date and time on the controller to make sure they are right. if no ap's are on this controller also check the AP Policy under security and make sure it will accept Manufacturer Installed Certificates.

you can try to telnet to the AP using it's DHCP address and the default UN: cisco  & PW: Cisco

Stephen Rodriguez Wed, 07/25/2012 - 07:51

If you have a syslog server, or can put one up....you can set DHCP option 7 for the AP.  It will send syslog messages to the server you specifiy, or will broadcast them by default

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Correct Answer
roger.alderman Fri, 07/27/2012 - 06:48

Make sure you haven't disabled the option to accept MIC certificates from the AP. See security page on the controller and AP policies. Make sure that MIC is ticked.

mplaksin0 Fri, 07/27/2012 - 07:52

Please be sure that your Option 43 be writen in this way:

option 43 HEX f104c0a8780a

If this is not work, past a console print of the Access-Point

Robot_Otobot Fri, 07/27/2012 - 11:25

Hi all,

Today I finished troubleshooting the access point. I do reset factory to the access points. I mean plug the power cable, push reset button , plug the power cable back while the reset button still pushed, wait till the LED go steady and release the push button. And suddenly, the access point switched from discovery to configuration phase fastly in approximately 2 minutes!

Here's my simple conclusion: when ever the access point is reply when you ping it from the controller but the access point still won't join to the controller, just do reset factory the access point.

For detail, my case is our access points sending the discovery message but that discovery message aren't arrive in the WLC. How do I know they don't arrive? I look in General > Access Point > Statistic page. In this page I did not see any sign about the living access point nor the discovery message status about the access point. Is it error in discovery phase or not I don't know. I do debug commands from WLC, still I don't receive any information about the access point.

Here is my access point configuration when I finally climb it and plug my console cable to it:

APf0f7.5526.05e8#show capwap ip conf

LWAPP Static IP Configuration

IP Address         192.168.121.149

IP netmask         255.255.255.0 

Default Gateway    192.168.121.1

Primary Controller 192.168.120.10

My quick question is: Do I should configure my access points to CAPWAP config mode while the controller is 5508 series? The controller 5508 only support capwap right? I.e. Is it wrong to configure 1242 access point in LWAPP mode while the controller are only supporting CAPWAP? I configure the access point in LWAPP config mode. I guess the problem is in here. Please correct me.

Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/27/2012 - 16:08

Can you please post the output to the following commands:

1.  WAP:  sh version;

2.  WAP:  sh inventory

Reboot the WAP and post the entire bootup process and include the attempting to join process.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted July 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM
Stats:
Replies:19 Avg. Rating:5
Views:3127 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: ap, wlc, 5500, join, won't
+

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard