cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP won't join (LAP1242 and WLC 5500 series)

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a problem

The access point is reply when I ping it from WLC. But until know it can't join, even discovery packet isn't arrive in WLC. How this could be? Please help. Need advice.

WLC software version = 6.0.199.4

Management interface address = 192.168.120.10 /24

Model = 5508

Access point software = 1240 Software (C1240-RCVK9W8-M), Version 12.4(21a)JA2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

AP Model = cisco AIR-LAP1242G-E-K9

Interface address = 192.168.121.151

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Like Leo mentioned, console into the AP and attach the output of the whole boot up and join process. Like 5 minutes... This will help us understand why the ap is not joining.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Quick question, are there other AP's on this controller already??  If not double check the date and time on the controller to make sure they are right. if no ap's are on this controller also check the AP Policy under security and make sure it will accept Manufacturer Installed Certificates.

you can try to telnet to the AP using it's DHCP address and the default UN: cisco  & PW: Cisco

Make sure you haven't disabled the option to accept MIC certificates from the AP. See security page on the controller and AP policies. Make sure that MIC is ticked.

19 Replies 19

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the AP and the wlc is in a different subnet, so you will need to do option 43, DNS, or place the AP in the same subnet as the wlc. Once the AP has joined, it can be placed back in the other subnet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00808f8599.shtml

-Scott

DHCP option 43 confirmed--> I already create DHPC option 43 but still won't join.

Still the access point is success when I give a ping to it from the WLC.

I can't ask the DNS on my client, it's too complicated to ask and I don't now how to configure DNS

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the WAP and reboot the WAP.

Post the entire bootup process including the joining process.

Marco Gonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

If you want to add this only access point to the wireless LAN controller one very eay way to do this is by configuring an static IP to the access point and configuring the IP address of the wireless LAN controller directly on the access point via console by entering the following commands:

AP1240# lwapp ap ip address 192.168.121.151 255.255.255.0

AP1240# lwapp ap ip default-gateway 192.168.121.1  << I guess>>

AP1240# lwapp ap controller ip address 192.168.120.10

Yes, it is indeed what is I do with the LAP. I configure it static: their ip address, their controller address. But still won't join.

Like Leo mentioned, console into the AP and attach the output of the whole boot up and join process. Like 5 minutes... This will help us understand why the ap is not joining.

-Scott

Thanks Scott. 

Anytime:)

-Scott

the LAP already mounted 8 metres above us, its hard to climb, we don't have ladder.

Can you share me how to remote log this AP. PS: the AP not yet join. I'm curious too.. Very2x

Thank you Scott

No real way of remote logging. This is what I would do:

Put the access point on the same vlan the wlc management interface is on

Make sure there is dhcp configured on that vlan

On the switch that the ap is connected to, hopefully it's a Cisco switch, issue a show cdp neighbor

Post what that shows

Attach the following in a txt format

show run-config on the wlc

Post the switch port config the ap and the wlc is connected to

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

While you figure out how to get the "sh version" and "sh inventory" of the WAP, if you have Cisco switch, can you please post the complete output to the command "sh cdp n det" and "sh power inline"?

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

This may seem stupid but could also be overlooked.. I noticed the AP is an -E Regulatory domain, make sure the controller has the -E regulatory domain configured on it, otherwise it can prevent the ap from joining.

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

@Kayle Miller : No it's good. Not stupid. I already check. WLC and the AP is in same E regulatory domain.

The problem is, WLC never ever receive discovery message from that AP. Can you tell me what would possibility reason of this?

Quick question, are there other AP's on this controller already??  If not double check the date and time on the controller to make sure they are right. if no ap's are on this controller also check the AP Policy under security and make sure it will accept Manufacturer Installed Certificates.

you can try to telnet to the AP using it's DHCP address and the default UN: cisco  & PW: Cisco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: