Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP flexconnect - Switch port configuration

smunzani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have found some samples on the FlexConnect setup for the controller side. However none of the documents mentioned how the switch port should be configured that goes to the controller and AP.

At this moment I have a Cisco 5508 configured in CAPWAP mode with 20 APs. I would like to use same controller for connecting one of the remote sites with 2 APs in FlexConnect mode. Current the 5508 to switch port is configured as 802.1Q port. All CAPWAP AP ports are configured as "switchport access vlan X" where X=capwap VLAN. Need to know how the switch port should be set for the remote site where flexconnect APs connect.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The remote site should be a trunk with the ap management as the native vlan. When the ap is in flexconnect you map the WLAN to a vlan at the remote site.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Here is a doc on flexconnect

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24082

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg_flexconnect.html#

Here is a snip from the doc above

interface FastEthernet1/0/2

description the Access Point port

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 100

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,101

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast

!

Vlan 100 is the ap management and 101 is where the WLAN will be mapped to. Wireless users will be placed on vlan 101 in this example.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I tried to follow same steps to create FlexConnect WLAN but could not configure same SSID for the FlexConnect location. If I don't configure same SSID, how would it work for the wireless mobility? Am I missing something?

I agree with Scott,

So, what do you mean by that you are not able to configure same SSID for hte FlexConnect location? can you please elaborate more?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad,

I have 4 sites configured with same SSIDs for secure and guest WLANs and already have mobility configured. When I add 5th site in Flexconnect mode due to only 1 AP at that site, I try to configure same SSID on one of the existing site that will serve the FlexConnect AP. It will create it but when you try to enable it, it would not enable.

The documents at following URL mention of creating a new WLAN for FlexConnect. Is there a way to keep using existing 2 SSIDs but use different VLAN map to the FlexConnect AP?

Thanks,

Sam

The SSID should be enabled with 'FlexConnect Local Switching' under Advanced tab, then the switch port config by Scott will work.  Otherwise, all FlexConnect connection will still be tunneled back to WLC.

Team,

Here is one of my screenshots. Once I created a new WLAN # 17 with same SSID, I was able to use it for VLAN MAP. Now for the secure SSID, I am seeing local switching working and getting a local IP from local DHCP scope. However how can I add guest SSID(WLAN 18, VLAN 111) to the same? I don't see an option in the configuration.

For what's its worth, I have both WLAN checked for local switching under the advanced settings of the WLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card