Helpful
Replies

ISE and Guest Portal

b.gamble
Level 1
Level 1

WLC - 7.2.110.0

ISE - 1.1.1

I'm new to ISE. I want to set up a very basic method for BYOD users to access our wireless network. I've set up an SSID for external Web Auth, where users get redirected to the ISE Guest Portal: https://1.2.3.4:8443/guestportal/Login.action

At that screen, users can enter their Active Directory credentials and login. Although the authentcation shows as successful under Operations -> Authentications, the user is redirected to the device registration page. On that page they see the message "We are unable to determine access privileges in order to access the network. Please contact your administrator." Their device MAC is listed, and they can enter a description but the "Register" button is greyed out.

I'm getting overwhelmed with the amount of documentation available as well as the new terminology. I'm familiar with using Windows RADIUS servers, but ISE is very foreign to me now. Is there any documentation to help me understand how access requests are processed?

11 Replies 11

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you seeing the coa request being sent from the ISE to the wireless controller? If so, it could be that the guest is hitting another authorization profile which redirects them to the device registration page.

Can you post a screenshot of your authorization rules.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

As far as I can tell there is no Authorization Profile being returned. I only have one authorization profile in addition to the defaults. This profile just checks AD group membership.

Sounds good, you will have to create another authorization profile that matches the guest identity group. That result should be permit access. See if that changes your luck.

Tarik Admani

Forgive me for sounding obtuse, but how does one do that?

I thought that's what I was doing when I created an auth profile that matched the AD user group that the user I'm loging in with is a member of.

Hi,

Did you setup ISE as the radius server for the ssid and then set up the WLC as the radius client on ISE. It seems that you are being redirected properly, but the portal authentication is passing, however there is another transaction which is the radius portion that actually changes your network access. Please set that up and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Yes, I set up ISE as the radius server and I've added the WLC to ISE.

Which ip address did you use for the wireless lan controller? Did you use the management interface? Also can you check the Security settings make sure that the "Radius Server Overwrite interface Enabled " Is not checked? It seems as if the radius authentication is not making it to the ISE node.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

As you asked the documents related to ISE and Guest Portal. I am sending you two docs which will help you in this case. Please find the below documents:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.0/user_guide/ise10_guest_pol.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.0.4/user_guide/ise10_guest_pol.pdf

How are you setting up the redirect. I have seen that error when you are being sent without using CWA and it is related to not being able to see the session information.

Since the controller is on 7.2 you should be able to send the redirect through CWA on the ISE appliance. So you basically have an open SSID with mac filtering enabled and Radius NAC enabled. And a policy on ISE to redirect traffic.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I forget what problem I was having, but I think I didn't have the authorization profile set up right, or at all. Sorry this thread got necro'd.  The issue has long since been solved.

Sorry.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Please see the attached Doc for setting up BYOD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: