cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28P and SG300-52 What's the difference?

smunzani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have SG300-28P that I am using as layer-3 switch. Recently I ran in to SG300-52 switch and even though loading same firmware doesn't give me option to do layer-3 switching. For SG-300 I see options in GUI to create vlan interfaces under IP information section, while SG300-52 has IP information option only under the management section.

Please let me know if these are 2 different hardware types and L3 is not possible on SG300-52. If its possible to enable L3 switching on SG300-52, please advise what am I missing in the config.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Smunzani, there is no difference in the switches aside the obvious, one has POE and one has 52 ports vs 28 ports.

To enable the L3, you may console the switch and use the command

"set system mode router"

You may also set the system mode through the menu if you're using the older 1.0.0.27 firmware (which does not support the textview CLI)

If you don't have access to the console, you may log in to the GUI and go to SECURITY -> TCP/UDP SERVICES and enable telnet then telnet the switch as well.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Smunzani, there is no difference in the switches aside the obvious, one has POE and one has 52 ports vs 28 ports.

To enable the L3, you may console the switch and use the command

"set system mode router"

You may also set the system mode through the menu if you're using the older 1.0.0.27 firmware (which does not support the textview CLI)

If you don't have access to the console, you may log in to the GUI and go to SECURITY -> TCP/UDP SERVICES and enable telnet then telnet the switch as well.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

That was it. I did not change anything last night but confirmed that was the issue. Need to secure maintenance window and be onsite to rebuild the config once it wipes startup config and reboots.