Views
Helpful
Replies

IBM V7000 with Nexus 5548UP and Nexus 4000 Design/implemetation guide

feisalb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have an implemetation to carry out. Basically it will be a Nexus 4000i via dac cables to Nexus 5548UP (FCOE connecion) and then from 5548UP connection to Storwize v7000 8GB FC ports  .

The Blades on the Bladecenter have Qlogic 10Gb CNAs so FCOE to 5548UP and then FC to IBM V7000 Storwize.

Are there any design/deployment guides for this scenario?

I am assuming that the blade will host vm machine and thus multiple wwn.

Which device will see this and will therefore need npiv configured on it?

Is it the device that does the logins?

What mode will the 5k need to be in, I think in switching mode with the 4k in npv mode?

I have seen the flexpod design and is this scenario the same but with the 5k replacing the mds role and 4k replacing the 5k's role (attached hosts)?

Is this scenario all so similar to the sba mid datacenter delpoyment guide?

Will I need to configure qos and mtu on the 4ks and 5ks?

Will I need to configure the san channels between the 4 and 5ks?

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards

Feisal

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Feisal

Nexus 4000 is a FIP snooping bridge and not an NPV switch. You will need to leave the Nexus 5548 in switching mode.

Refer to the following guide and it will answer most of your other questions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_fcoe_ops_appD.html

Thanks

-Prashanth

View solution in original post

In the Nexus 5000, you will be binding vFCs to the MAC addresses and you do not need NPIV for this.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Feisal

Nexus 4000 is a FIP snooping bridge and not an NPV switch. You will need to leave the Nexus 5548 in switching mode.

Refer to the following guide and it will answer most of your other questions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_fcoe_ops_appD.html

Thanks

-Prashanth

Okay thanks for the doc.

What about the qos settings. I have read that when you enable fcoe on the 4k the default qos is enabled.

If so is this sufficient?

Also will I need to configure the system qos for fcoe on the 5548 or is that dependant on the software release?

I read somewhere on the support forums that without the qos fcoe clients can't login.

Same question about mtu, what size do I need to configure on the 4k and 5k and how do I do this?

Thanks

Feisal

Default QoS when you enable FCoE is sufficinent. Same thing on Nexus 5500 as well. If you are running 5.1 or later, FCoE QoS gets applied once you configure "feature fcoe". MTU setting is part of QoS and hence gets applied with QoS.

Thanks again.

Would I need npiv to run on the 5k links connected to the 4k if I have

Multiple vm hosts each with their own wwn

in a blade?

In the Nexus 5000, you will be binding vFCs to the MAC addresses and you do not need NPIV for this.

Hello again,

FCOE host will be connected to the 4k so I will need to bind the vfc to mac address of the blade?

Will I need to do the binding again on the 5k or is it dependent on where the fcoe host is connected to?

From the "Configure Virtual Fibre Channel Interfaces for Cisco Nexus 4000 FCoE CNAs" section of the doc.

Thanks, you have been very helpful.

Feisal

The deployment guide was spot on. Thanks for that. I did have a problem with the port-channels between the 5k and 4k reported BKN when I did a show spanning tree. I could not see any flogi logins from the blades only from the storage.

I removed the port-channels and configured a single trunk. This showed the flogi logins.

So I decided to build the port channels again but this time instead of configuring the "channel-group" under the ethernet interfaces first I configured the port channel interface physically via cli and then added the ethernet interfaces to the port channel. This worked.

Dear prkrishn

I am working on the Data Center Solution between two Data Center, details underneath

DC 1 Site

1. 2 x DC Core Switch (Nexus 7009) - will be used for Servers, Application, IBM V7000, Database, etc.

2. 2 x Network Core Switch (Cisco 6509) - Handle Campus and Inter Building connection.

3. IBM V7000 (SAN)

DC 2 Site

1. 2 x DC Core Switch (Nexus 7009) - will be used for Servers, Application, IBM V7000, Database, etc.

2. 2 x Network Core Switch (Cisco 6509) - Handle Campus and Inter Building connection.

3. IBM V7000 (SAN)

With the above mention setup, can I configure FCIP between DC1 & DC2 using Nexus 7009? or I need FCIP capable Switch such as IBM SAN Switch (SAN06-BR), I was wondering if I can configure FCIP on Nexus 7009 DC Switch.

Hoping for your kind response at earliest.

Kind Regards,

Arnold

Arnold

Nexus 7000 does not support Native FC or FCIP. So you have native FC, you will need a storage switch such as MDS to do FC and FCIP

Thanks

-Prashanth

siddharth-patel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

Sorry little off the topic, but I have a question in regards to connecting IBM V7000 directly to Nexus5548.

CAN WE DO THAT?

Our current setup is IBM v7000 -> MDS 9124 -> Nexus 5548.

But our MDS 9124 are out of warranty now and we need to take them out of production. And only way we can do this is if we connect our IBM v7000 fibre ports directly to our Nexus 5548.

Can someone please point me to the right direction any knowledge base articles etc.

Thanks Heaps

Sid

Hello Sid

Yes this is can be done. If you have a nexus 5548 UP then you will need storage licenses and the correct fc sfp 1/2/4/8 gbps. The 5548 will take the mds role of as the fibre channel forwarder (FCF) and FIP.  All zoning is also done on the 5548UP. See the url further up the discussion and the deployment guide from IBM http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101688.

Hope that helps.

Feisal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: