cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert:New Campus Segmentation Technology using Cisco Easy Virtual Network (EVN)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Rahul Kachalia

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about the Cisco Easy Virtual Network (EVN) solution with Cisco expert Rahul Kachalia. Network virtualization is common technique to multiple logical networks over single physical network infrastructure. Virtual networks builds isolated routing and switching paths between different closed-user groups, secured IT managed devices, regulatory and compliance systems. The new Cisco Easy Virtual Network (EVN) solution simplifies deployment to provide end-to-end network virtualization in Enterprise Campus. EVN enables possibility to build multiple virtual networks over common network infrastructure. EVN is developed based on industry standard and builds on the existing IP-based virtualization mechanism known as Multi-VRF or VRF-lite. EVN provides enhancements in path isolation, simplified configuration and management, and improved shared service support. EVN provides compatibility and interworking solution to work with remote devices running Multi-VRF or MPLS based virtual network solution

Rahul Kachalia is a technical marketing engineer in the Architecture and Strategy Unit at Cisco. He helps create guidance to design and deploy Borderless Network technology for large enterprise networks. He has more than 15 years of experience with enterprise, service provider, and public-sector customers focusing on next-generation network architecture design. At Cisco he has led many initiative focused on enterprise and service provider broadband, MPLS, VPN, and managed services. He also has helped to build the Service Ready Architecture for 21st century networks for educational institutions. Kachalia holds CCNA, CCNP, MCSE, MCP, CNE, and CCIE certifications (#11740 Routing & Switching and Service Provider).

Remember to use the rating system to let Rahul know if you have received an adequate response. 

Rahul might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the  Service Providers sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through through August 10, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

11 Replies 11

ROBERTO TACCON
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Rahul,

which are the software limit about the IPv4 and IPv6 routing protocols on EVN allowed per platform ?

which are the hardware limit about the number of EVN allowed per platform ?

For example for the vrf lite (multi-VRF CE or multi-VRF Customer Edge Device) the limit are the following:

The Cisco Catalyst 3560/3560-x/3750/3750-x: supports one global network and up to 26 VRFs.

The Cisco Catalyst 4500: has a limit one global network and up to 64 VRFs. The total number of routes supported is limited by the size of the TCAM.

The Cisco Catalyst 6500/Cisco 7600 with a Supervisor 720-3B/3BXL: has a maximum of 1024 vrf (actually 1023 with the global table).

The Cisco 7200: has a recommended maximum of 1000 vrfs.  The real limiting factor is the number of routes in each vrf though.  The maximum recommended number of routes across all vrfs in the 7200 is 150,000.

Hi Roberto,

EVN currently supports IPv4. While IPv6 development is radar.

Up to 32 virtual network can be created on EVN supported hardware. This is currently software limit and it is tied to number of VNET Tag allowed on per system basis, if you need additional scale you can always implement traditional Multi-VRF along with it. Following is the EVN/Multi-VRF supported hw based on your qn :

- Cisco Catalyst 3560/3560-x/3750/3750-x supports Multi-VRF which can interoperate with peer EVN system

- Cisco Catalyst 4500E/4500X supports 32 EVN

- Cisco Catalyst 6500 with Sup720-3B/BXL supports Multi/VRF which can interoperate with peer EVN system

- Cisco ASR supports 32 EVN

For more details see below :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/Network_Virtualization/sccsolover.html#wp416774

Please note, while the number of Multi-VRF scale factor varies in different router and switching portfolio, one of the key challenge is operational complexity in higher network scale design.  EVN is specifically design to mitigate such operational complexity in the network while solving key business/technical challenges...

thanks,

rahul.

Jessica Deaken
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rahul,

Which IOS version supports the configuration of EVN and MPLS on a 6500 switch with 2T supervisor engine?

Is there a table of the versions and products that support EVN configuration? I have not been able to find anything on Cisco.com.

I appreciate your help.

- Jessica

Hello Jessica,

6500E-Sup2T started supporting EVN on 15.0(SY1) IOS release.

I have not able to locate the table that summarizes all products ad version information for EVN. It is good feedback and i will try to see if we can update it soon...

thanks,

rahul.

Federico Reyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I wonder how can I extend EVN over WAN. Is there a specific configuration?

Also, will Cisco EVN interoperate with other vendors?

Thank you,

- Federico

Hello Federico,

EVN is currently supported on LAN interfaces such physical or port-channel Ethernet interfaces. EVN network can be terminated on Ethernet interfaces, however when same VRF associated to WAN or Tunnel (DMVPN/GRE etc) port then the data plane remains segmented as it gets traversed over the WAN infrastructure

The control and data plane is based on industry standards so EVN can interop peer systems from other vendor...

thanks,

rahul.

Carlos Lesaige
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Raul,

This is the first time I heard about EVN. Sounds interesting. Can you give more inforamation about it? Specially I would like to understand how it differs from Multi-VRF, MPLS, etc?

I would like to better undertand the major benefits of EVN ober Multi-VRF. Any details are welcome.

Thank you,

-Carlos

Hi Carlos,

EVN is specifically design to operationally simplify the traditional Multi-VRF technology. However from the control and dataplane perspective EVN is still functionally same as Multi-VRF that provides hop-by-hop network virtualization using per-VRF routing process and segmenting data plane with VNET Tag (IEEE 802.1Q). EVN becomes ideal solution for small scale virtual network soltuion typically deployed in Campus and Branch offices.

EVN and MPLS Layer 3 VPN can be considered as two seperate set of technologies based on how they operate and work. MPLS VPNs is BGP-based connection-less virtual network solution that is specifically designed for SPs environment, however it is also commonly deployed in Enterprises when there is desire to deploy large scale virtual network designs.

I would recommend to refer to following guide that may also help in better understanding between different technologies.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/Network_Virtualization/sccsolover.html

thanks,

rahul.

g.navastrota
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rahul,

We have been experimenting a bit problem with the Cisco Anyconnect client for Pc. I have this installed in a Windows XP Pc and I've been working perfectly since 3 days. Now, I cannot connect because  of "The Anyconnect package on the secure gw could not be located".

Well, we have a S/N FHK1134F530CISCO 2811 PIX.

By the way, I have been reading some CISCO papers, uninstalling/re-intalling the client without success.

Please, could you kindly give me a hand?

Thank you so much.

GEMMA NAVAS

JFHILLEBRAND SPAIN S.A.

g.navastrota@hillebrandgroup.com

Hi Gemma,

Unfortunately I m unable to support you for this problem. I would request you to post your question in Security forum :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/security/vpn

thanks,

rahul.

Hi Rahul,

Done it.

Thank you so much.

GEMMA NAVAS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco