Looking for an Access Point with 2 Ethernet ports and powered via PoE

Endorsed Question
Jul 30th, 2012

Hi Gurus,

I am looking for an Access Point with 2 Ethernet ports and the access point can be powered via PoE. I have been assigned with a requirement where the rooms need to have access point as well as an Ethernet Cable provided from the Access Point as a backup for connectivity.

The room only has one data cable coming from the main IT room as well does not have a spare power socket to power the Access Point. Will be good if it can be centrally controlled or controller based.

Any recommendations?

Regards

J

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Endorsed by Leo Laohoo
Scott Fella about 1 year 8 months ago

Cisco does not make an indoor access point with two eithernet ports.  But all their access points can be powered up using PoE.

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Scott Fella Mon, 07/30/2012 - 05:27

Cisco does not make an indoor access point with two eithernet ports.  But all their access points can be powered up using PoE.

fb_webuser Mon, 07/30/2012 - 07:29

For the backup plan, the cheapest solution may be to just run a couple new cat5e drops to the room(est cost $250). If not then purchase a small Cisco POE switch for the room(est cost $2k). For wireless I would purchase a POE enabled Cisco AP. But you will need to verify the POE switch/blade you will be connecting the AP to can power the AP you buy. I got burned by that issue when we purchased some Cisco 1251 AP's with dual radios and they needed more power than our 4500 POE blades could handle. We were told we would need to purchase new 48 port 10/100/1000 blades or power injectors. Our Cisco sales vendor took the heat for that mistake.

---

Posted by WebUser Steven Kinney from Cisco Support Community App

jattitude Mon, 07/30/2012 - 23:04

Hi,

Its a large implementation. There are no options to pull cables as the building is 10 floors and around 200 rooms or points and the ceiling has been closed. It was a mistake from the design team of not looking into wireless access point requirement or ports for these. Finally the client came up with the requirement of having an access point per room with an additional ethernet cable per room and all I have is one Data point (incoming) per room. I requested for an additonal power point so I could install a router and convert this to an access point but this too is impossible as the client will have to take fresh approvals from the authorities for additonal power points.

Its not a great situation to be in but sadly I am in this and need a solution.

Regards

J

Scott Fella Tue, 07/31/2012 - 04:57

Let me take this back. You can look at the OfficeExtend AP600, but again that is for remote offices and roaming might become more of an issue for you. The OEAP600 does have wireless and wired capabilities. You would need to have a wlc with a license to support the number of access points. This AP requires an AC power adapter though...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11579/products_tech_note09186a0080b7f10e.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Scott Fella Tue, 07/31/2012 - 08:21

Just to make things clear, you do not want to use the OEAP 600 in your install, just wanted to clear things up regarding an access point that also has a ethernet port:)

Scott Fella Tue, 07/31/2012 - 12:28

No it can't... It requires an AC adapter.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 07/31/2012 - 15:23

I'm getting confused here ...

Are you trying to do a point-to-point wireless bridge???

Scott Fella Tue, 07/31/2012 - 15:36

Leo,

He is looking for an access point that can be powered up via PoE but also can supply a LAN connection. They have a project that consists of 10 floors and there is only one drop per room. Requirement is to have an access point per room along with a data drop..

Leo Laohoo Thu, 08/02/2012 - 19:09
He is looking for an access point that can be powered up via PoE but also can supply a LAN connection. They have a project that consists of 10 floors and there is only one drop per room. Requirement is to have an access point per room along with a data drop..

So connect a WAP to the sole data port and configure point-to-(multi)point wireless bridge.

That way, you have one WAP acting as a root and the rest will be trying to bridge across.

jattitude Sun, 08/05/2012 - 07:31

Thank you for your suggestions.

After searching through the building drawings, we have found out a useable solution. We have found that each room has 2 voice points and we have proposed to convert one of these voice points to data. This solves the requirement of 2 data points (One for the AP and second as backup).

Now the client has requested us to propose the cheapest solution. The building will have 500 plus AP's. Can you suggest a good & cheap AP (I have been reading through Aironet 1040) as well as a method to control / configure all these AP's.

Controller seems to be too costly, so looking for an alternative efficient solution.

Regards,

J

Scott Fella Sun, 08/05/2012 - 07:52

With that many AP's I would still look at using a WLC. Managing individual standalone access points will be a nightmare. The cost of configuring each one compared to setting up a wlc and staging the APs on that will cost the client more money. That would be in services. Put the number together, hardware and services and compare for yourself. The 1040's are a good low end access point, and being in the consulting side, you are better off and the client is better off using a wlc.

jattitude Sun, 08/05/2012 - 08:20

Just googled for WLC cost and its ranging from $65,000 to $85,000 for a controller that can support 500 or more AP's

Scott Fella Sun, 08/05/2012 - 08:36

Well that is list, who buys list?  With a big implementation, you should get some discount.  Look at it this way... they would have to hire someone just to manage all those AP's.  Put it this way.... if you had to make a small change to an ssid, it takes a couple seconds on a wlc, but if each ap was standalone, just imagine how long that would take and how can you ensure that all the configurations from one ap to another ap is the same.  This was the nightmare with standalone.  Plus you have high density deployment, a wlc can do a better job at RF predictions than a human!  So its up to you.... you will have much more time trying to get standalone access oints to work right with roaming. etc than you would if you had used a WLC.  This is why everyone is moving from stand alone to central manage.....ease of deployment, support and troubleshooting.

Leo Laohoo Sun, 08/05/2012 - 15:57

Got another solution for you ...

You can get an 8-port, FANLESS PoE switch and connect to the uplink (ports 9 or 10).  You can then use the other 8 ports to connect PCs into it or a WAP.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Stats:
Replies:15 Avg. Rating:5
Views:2501 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard