cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default vlan

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

I hear that all ports have a default vlan, usually 1. what happens when we set a port to access port 10? Does it still have a default vlan or just vlan 10?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atle,

The default VLAN is simply stating what VLAN all the ports will belong to in the switches default configuration. This is always VLAN for Cisco devices. In fact you cannot modify or delete VLAN 1. Changing the switchport access vlan x under the interface takes the access port out of the default VLAN and puts it into the defined VLAN.

The Native VLAN has to do with trunking (switchport trunk native vlan x), not with access ports. The Native VLAN is defined on a trunk and is used with protocols like Dot1q to define which VLAN will be untagged. Without this command, the default native VLAN is 1, which is also the default VLAN of the switch.

HTH

Anthony

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Andreas Hornig
Level 1
Level 1

That port would no longer be in vlan1 but vlan10.  sh vlan. Hope this helps.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Atle Dale wrote:

I hear that all ports have a default vlan, usually 1. what happens when we set a port to access port 10? Does it still have a default vlan or just vlan 10?

In default configuration, all ports on a Cisco switch are in VLAN 1, which is the default "native" (untagged) VLAN.

If you enter the command

switchport access vlan 10

into a given ports configuration, then that port is no longer a member of the native VLAN, but rather a member of VLAN 10, and no traffic not intended for VLAN 10 will transit that port.

Cheers.

ok, I think what really confuses me here, is that the default vlan is also native. So, first it is native vlan 1 and then it is a normal access port vlan. To make it native, I will have to make the port a trunk port and add a native vlan to that, correct? I cannot make the access port native ever again, it only appliers to the default vlan 1?

Atle,

The default VLAN is simply stating what VLAN all the ports will belong to in the switches default configuration. This is always VLAN for Cisco devices. In fact you cannot modify or delete VLAN 1. Changing the switchport access vlan x under the interface takes the access port out of the default VLAN and puts it into the defined VLAN.

The Native VLAN has to do with trunking (switchport trunk native vlan x), not with access ports. The Native VLAN is defined on a trunk and is used with protocols like Dot1q to define which VLAN will be untagged. Without this command, the default native VLAN is 1, which is also the default VLAN of the switch.

HTH

Anthony

HI Alte,

ok, I think what really confuses me here, is that the default vlan is also native.

Yes the default vlan is 1 and it is also called as a native vlan.

So, first it is native vlan 1 and then it is a normal access port vlan.

Yes its a normal access ports, when it is vlan 1.

To make it native, I will have to make the port a trunk port and add a native vlan to that, correct?

only vlan 1 is called native vlan, other vlan are not native. (You can only use native word with vlan 1).

if you add two vlan to a port then its not called a native port ...it just a trunk port.

I cannot make the access port native ever again, it only appliers to the default vlan 1?

if you will use only one blan(Vlan1) on a port then its automatically a native vlan ports.

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

"To make it native, I will have to make the port a trunk port and add a native vlan to that, correct?

only vlan 1 is called native vlan, other vlan are not native. (You can only use native word with vlan 1).

if you add two vlan to a port then its not called a native port ...it just a trunk port."

-I think you might be wrong here. I am pretty sur eyou can set a native vlan on a trunk port?

HI Atle,

Dont het me wrong.

My meaning is that ....yes you can use vlan 1 on a trunk port but you can not say that it is native trunk port....it is called normal trunk port.

TRunk port can be used with any vlans.

Regards

yes, I thought so. Trunk ports can be used with any vlans, and a trunk port can also have a native vlan or it can not have a native vlan. Correct?

yes of course ...it can have vlan 1(Native vlan).

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

and any other native vlan, not only vlan 1?

Trunk means ...any vlan.......either native or ...others.

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

I still think we do not understand each other..

You said:

"

To make it native, I will have to make the port a trunk port and add a native vlan to that, correct?

if you add two vlan to a port then its not called a native port ...it just a trunk port.

"

I think this is wrong, if it is not I am sorry:

We agree that a trunk port can have a native vlan. But on the trunk we can make whatever vlan we want native. How can you say we can only use the word native with vlan 1?

The statement is incorrect, you can modify the native VLAN with command I mentioned above.

Thanks

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: