Jabber for iPhone (Separate IM CLient with cross launch)

Answered Question
Jul 31st, 2012
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

What is the plan for Jabber for iPhone to have one single client like we have on Jabber for Windows 9.0.1 Build 8802?

I am running Jabber for iPhone version 8.6.5.18781 and I have to select phone contacts and then click CHAT button which launches Jabber for IM.

To me it is not optimal, as I like to see the presence of my contacts before I decide whether I should, call or chat (if they are on the phone), so this makes it so I have to launch a separate app, see they are Idle, and then go back and call on the other App.

I searched for threads on this, but only found this one:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3512644

Perhaps this is a well known function of the next version of Jabber for iPhone, but I am not informed about this.  If this is the case, where can I get informed?

If this is not public information, can someone give me a forward looking hint?

Steve

Correct Answer by Jonathan Schulenberg about 4 years 8 months ago

We cannot discuss product roadmaps on a public forum. The decision to create the separation in the first place was to speed up development cycles; less code means less to test. Everyone agrees there should be one app but given the clamoring about how slow/behind Cisco is already they chose speed over ideal for now. I suggest re-asking your roadmap/timeline question somewhere that is covered by an NDA.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jonathan Schulenberg Tue, 07/31/2012 - 11:02
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

We cannot discuss product roadmaps on a public forum. The decision to create the separation in the first place was to speed up development cycles; less code means less to test. Everyone agrees there should be one app but given the clamoring about how slow/behind Cisco is already they chose speed over ideal for now. I suggest re-asking your roadmap/timeline question somewhere that is covered by an NDA.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Steven DiStefano Tue, 07/31/2012 - 11:28
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Thanks for your honest and fast reply, Jonathan.

It was one of those things where I felt like maybe I didnt know what was public, so I am glad you set my mind at ease there.

I will feel more comfortable that when I speak to customers, that I have this right and this is the latest.

My company does have EFT priviledge with Cisco (and visa versa) and I will leave the NDA stuff to them :-)  I am sure they will roll out any updates to me, as I work , live and play on a Cisco UC system all day and night.  I guess you can say, what Ed Carney always said to me when I worked for hom .."we eat our own dog food", and in this case, its the best solution, or I wouldnt be selling it ;-)

This is one area where it can be even better and I leave that to you.

Steve

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content