Views
Helpful
Replies

WGB attached to Mesh doesn't forward Ethernet broadcasts

Michael Keetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have a requirement for our WGB attached clients to receive regular broadcasts across the mesh.  Based on my current configuration this doesn't appear to be working.  I have no idea why this isn't working.

My mesh is based around 1552E Mesh Access Points, and a  5508 Controller running 7.0.220.0 software

The Work Group Bridges are Autonomous Cisco 1261 APs running 12.4(25d)JA1, attached to a Moxa L2 switch

To complicate matters, the AP and switch are in a network management VLAN (the same as the controller management interface), and the client device is in a seperate VLAN.

There are no problems with unicast traffic to and from the client device.  It is registered correctly on the controller against the right VLAN / controller interface.  I know the broadcasts are present in the VLAN on the LAN side, however they are not received by the client device.

I have enabled Ethernet Broadcast on the controller, in unicast mode (all multicast modes are default)

I have tried the Work group bridges in both infrastructure-client and normal client mode

Can anyone suggest any tests I can confirm to try and track the problem to either the controller or the WGB?

Thanks,

Michael

5 Replies 5

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try enabling multicast globally on the controller:

> config network multicast global enable

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Regretably enabling multicast globally hasn't helped.

Is it expected that the CPU wouldn't receive the broadcast packets?  I have performed a debug packet, with the source address of the broadcast as a filter, but don't get any hits.  I am certain the packets are being flooded on the LAN.

I am assuming you were referring to the Multicast Containment?  I have tried it int in-out and regular mode, to no avail.  I got the impression it was more dealing with bridged traffic between the MAPs themselves?

Would it matter that I am using a static interface (the management interface) for the WGB itself, and a dynamic interface for the end host? 

rfuentes15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friend!

Did you get any feedback to this? Im facing a similar issue with a Mesh Network (1552E) and AP 1262 as a WGB. The clients behind WGB dont recieve multicas/broadcast traffic in any VLAN 802.1q, but the native vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: